Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Slingshots and pommel horse circles

I've really enjoyed Jeff Martones H2H drill DVD. Something has drawn me to these drills and I assumed it was their gymnastics like nature of fairly complicated hand changes under load.Kind of like high bar and parallel bars.KB swings to me seem to be the polar opposite of gymnastics,mechanically.

In gymnastics you swing around your hands and the apparatus is grounded. With KBs the apparatus swings around you.Your body becomes the apparatus and the kb becomes the gymnast!trippy.


But doing slingshot around the body passes today I realized that they are the KB equivilant of pommel horse circles. Once I saw Jeff do it with such momentum( and I've recovered the shoudler flexibility) it feels remarkably similar to circles!Much like doing circles on one pommel, behind the back. not easy stuff!


Plus you can swing in the oppsite direction, something you never do in gymnastics.
side horse is the only gymnastics event thats main swing motion is in the transverse plane.the higher you keep your hips during circles the better.Like swinging the kb further away from you in the slingshot with a fast momentum. way cool ;}
Figure eights, slingshots and flips are changing the way I think aobut KB again. excellent.

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...