Sunday, August 07, 2005

Elastic muscle/plastic fascia

So, in my "anatomy trains" book on the conept of myofascial meridians the author points out that while muscle tissue is very similar to elastic fascia is much more akin to plastic. Elastic muscle stretch to their capacity and spring back. Fascia gets overly stretched and deforms and adheres.

This would also mean that your movements and posture, by creating essentially heat in the myofascial system could mold the fascia into you. IN positive or negative ways. This might also explain why I feel the need to constantly stretch out. As I stand or lay too long the fascia pulls into its deformed pathaway and twists me. Heating it up lets me stretch it out more towards neutral, and, thankfully, less joint and muscle pain.

This also means that perfect form,in exercise and life,your posture and gait mechanics in all movements are every bit as important as I thought.

I am definitely going towards a better and more structurally effecient physique and functional strength. BUt their is still not much left of my knee. It will only take so much and I have to remember that. Daily.

It also seems that the idea that as you get older you should, and need to, exercise less may be wrong. At least for me. It seems I am moving towards moving something everyday. It may mean that the "training" is just flexibility or mobility work but I have to move everyday and work on what hurts before it gets bad.

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...