Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Hybrid training

When I found kettlebells I was a powerlifter with a bad back who couldnt handle any volume training at all. I couldnt get in shape because I was hurt which made me weaker and more unstable. Then I found kettlebell swings and snatches and cleans and found that as my kb volume increased, my ability to squat more than one rep increased as well.

And my back pain went down and my mobility increased.I combined the two for a year or more until I had to decide between heavy snatches and a competitive bench. I choose the bench and was the worst for it overall. Again, I lost my conditioning because I was powerlifting too much and swinging too little.

After training exclusively with kbs and warrior dieting for the RKC for the last year I'm now in the best condition I have been in years with much better movement, mobility,much less pain and work capacity. But I do miss the barbell and mindless bodybuilding reps are not an option. I squatted again today and figured out how to unrack the bar without walking out. It worked very well and, as I suspected, not walking had a very good effect on my back, knees and ankles. I have to keep the load even and the position perfect however. A very good challenge.

I also benched wsb style, including rolling db extensions for 7x8 with 15 sec rest/set and it felt like the old times! Man does that feel weird saying that but it is so true.

A blend of kbs and powerlifts will do I think; I hope. Workout to follow.

No comments:

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...