Sunday, November 13, 2005

Legs that don't quit

Those who have been reading this blog know I have been searching for a new direction in my training since I have retired from competition. I thought just getting incredibly lean and well conditioned would satisfy but it doesnt.
My recent little forays back towards powerlifting dont make much sense either and I know it. I do love kettlebells but I will never be Brett Jones or Steve Cotter with them as that poses the same problems heavy powerlifting does.

So I've been thinking very hard about what my goals are and what I neeed from my training.Since I blew my knee out in '74 most of my training has centered around strengthening and building my legs. First size with bodybuilding, then endurnace with marathons and cycling, then strength with powerlifts. Kettlebells have done more for my legs in terms of functional, useable strength then anything has since running. Trying to barbell squat again showed me that while I might be addicted to the power it is not the way to go if I dont want to be a cripple again.

But I do miss my upper body and heavy benches arent the way to go either. So perhaps a hybrid. Train my legs two times a week with the kettlebell lifts, swings for the hips and back and swing squats and depth squats for the legs themselves. What I really need are legs that dont, a back of Iron and a work capacity of a mule. The KB is the best tool for that. But train them like a bodybuilder would, with pyramid sets and reps and short(er) rest periods.

For my upper body use dumbells and the bodyweight exercises that have shown to be so helpfull in rehabbing my shoulder; the handstands and pullups, as well as the arm work to please the wife :)).

I shouldnt even push the deadlifts as it doenst help my back anywhere near as much as the kbs. It just has that Macho factor I need right now. Hoepfully the db benches and arm work will help ease that. This is the best I can come up with now and I feel excited about the coming weeks training. Hopefully this will last longer than a week.

The Plan:
Monday: Chest back arms
db bench 10x10
kb rows 8x8

dips 6x6
scapula pullups 6x6

db extensions
db curls: superest to pump

pushdowns
cable curls:superset to pump

handstands

wednesdays: Legs
H2H warmups
Darcs swings pyramid up and down
two hand swings: same
farmers walks
handstands


friday: shoulders arms
Bottoms up cleans 5x5
two kb cleans 5x5
db laterals 10x10
rope extensions
seated db curls
db kickbacks
band curls
handstands

Saturday: legs
H2H warmups
swing squats 10x10
depth squats 5x20
kb lunges 3-5x10
bosu one leg stands

This should cover all the ground. Fucntional leg strength and size as well, stability for the knee and back and plenty of conditioning to tire my ass out. the upper body stuff will just be fun. Plus I can eat again although I still plan on using the Warrior Diet, just with more carbs and calories during the evening eating phase.

Legs that dont quit, a back of iron, and some decent sized guns.

No comments:

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...