Friday, November 25, 2005

Strength is a skill.

This phrase keeps dancing around my head as I have been re-reading Power to the People, probably the best overall book on strength training ever written. AS one might notice from reading this blog I tend to overtrain and push myself too far. thinking of my strength training more as a skill to practice rather than workout to be pushed through is new to me but perhaps and idea whose time has come.

Especially for my grind lifts. Fridays is always a tough workout day for me as far as programming. Usually I am beat by then between work and workouts and I have a tough saturday to do as well . Endurance stuff I am usually not in the mood for. So I decided to focus on my kb grind lifts and it was great today. Just heavy enough, tough enough physically to focus on the skill of what I was trying to do more than just the numbers.

I have not done any weighted windmills for the last two months but have instead worked it as a stretch instead. I was very surprised the last few days when my left to right side rotation actually worked well! Time for some weight.

High /Low windmill
5 sets of 3-4 reps with the 36 overhead and off the ground. THis gets my weaker left side hips and leg and my weaker right lat.

windmill
regular style 36 for 3 sets of 5 right side opened up very well/

kb side press
36x5/5
44x5/5
53x5/5x3 this is where I really focused on technique rather than push. found out I havenet been shift to the opposite side leg strongly enough . really helped take the load off my shoulder

kb clean
44x5/5
53x5/5
73x4/4x2 no problems.

bottoms up clean
36x5/5
44x5/5
53x5/5x3

two kb bottoms up clean
2 36'sx5x2 sets these were solid.

reverse band chops( left to right only)
black dynaband 4x15

handstands
4 sets of 12-15 seconds. needed to do these, shoulder were tight.

datsit. Deadlifts early tomorrow am!

No comments:

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...