Saturday, December 23, 2006

Runners legs and Go Late.


I have been obsessed with leg strength and leg training since I destroyed my shoulder in 1977 and realized I could only train with my legs and they sucked. They had been weak since my knee injury in 1975. Then I learned how to run and got a feeling of strength and endurance in my legs I had never felt before. That they could run forever and not get tired.An amazing feeling and one I miss more than any of the other physical skills I can no longer do.
Even more then running, cycling gave me a feeling of power and strength in my legs that was amazing yet you were tired to the bike. Running made me feel like an animal. A fast and strong one with a solid base.

When I went into bodybuilding I became truly obsessed with getting big legs. I was told the more muscle I had the bettter protected my damaged knee would be and I took it to heart.BUt they got tight. And out of a natural balance that running gave them.Powerlifting made it even worse; tighter and even more unbalanced.

So I gave up the squat motion except as a stretch a year and a half ago and it was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I LIVED to squat and worshiped at the alter of Tom Platz and then Ed Coan and Kirk Karwoski.But my legs have felt better and better the more is just did snatches and swings and did not load the legs with squats.

I could be strong at squats in the workout and limp around all week, or not squat at all and be a much better walker all week. Not much of a choice anymore.

But today I realized, as I was rounding the corner into my 200th snatch, that my legs were taking on the feeling I used to have as a runner. Smaller and less one rep max strong but enduring and resilient in a way they havent been in years. I am steadily loosing the unbalanced tension that was causing so much knee and back pain and my legs are 'getting under me' again.
The swings and the snatch dont put me into a classic squat pattern and use the legs that way but even in my deadlifters lean over style the legs are getting worked and worked well! ANd the more I try to make myself "use the legs" more the worse I am. You have to use what works for you.


(Long warmup with swings with 12 kg and 16 kg)

snatch
16kgx5/5x2
20kgx3/3x2

24kg
5/5
6/6
7/7
8/8
9/9
10/10 x2
5/5
5/5

200 reps/10,600 pounds

in about 45 minutes.

this was a good one although it took forever to get started. My right shoulder has been out for the last couple days( messing around with pressing again!) and I didnt know how things would hold. Plus the super cold and early start does not help that.
But it was fine.Made me really concentrate on keeping the arm straight as I came out of the hole.

BUT ,as I started to fatigue and bit and slow down around 150 reps I was trying to sit back more to get more hip snap and that wasnt working. What I realized was, just like in my dl I have to lean over more to get my hips into it better and thats what I did! Worked like a charmOpened the stroke up a bit, got more momentum and didnt hurt anything!

I also realized I have to think 'go late' on the snap to hit it in the right place. I always want to go early and rush it.Missed my snatches last week and was worried it would feel heavy. no problems.excellent.

halos
12kg x8/8x4 sets

Chin Hangs
4 sets of 8-10 sec.These feel GREAT!
bw 160.8
bf8.8%
water60.8%

datsit staying loose.



No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...