Monday, January 08, 2007

The simple things.



Like being able to swing, and train and move without pain. I dodged another bullet this weekend and my biceps feels almost normal today. I got lazy on my snatches( being pissed and not concentrating enough) and let my arm bend in the bottom. This moved my radius/ulna out and it tweaked my whole arm; especially my biceps.

When I released the radius/ulna and the elbow set, the shoulder set and the biceps relaxed. Ergo, no tweak. Thank you God. I interpret injuries( tweaks included) these days as serious messages from the universe that I am doing something wrong, or have had enough of a certain exercise,set rep range, or movement. A message that something should change. I listen very well these days; after being smacked in the head( amoungst other parts) long enough to know better now.

Part of this message arrived after reading Steve Cotters interview with the Russian Woman GS Champion Lyubya Cherapaha and reading that her goal each workout was 300 snatches. I have had the same mindset; I wanted 200-250 snatches per workout. I was using a much easier rep scheme but it struck me how similar our goals were as it struck me that I didn't want to be training like a GS athlete!

As usual I tend to confuse quantity with quality; always searching for both, but making sure quantity is there just to make sure I earned my food that day.

Also,the simple ability to press again has rejuvinated me and made me realize I dont have to pound myself into the ground all the time to get a good workout. I am a slow learner but I don't give up!

Just being able to swing and get a good sweat going reminded me that I need to take the "long view" as so aptly put by jack Reape, and ramp DOWN my numbers. Posting about my favorite tricep exercise- rolling db extensions- and the ever constant rep scheme- 7 sets of 8 made me also realize I dont have to continually do more( at a lower intensity as is necessary) to get it worked either. So many things from one little tweak! LOL.


Here's my new schedule:
sat
speed snatch 10 sets of 5/5
two hand swings 10 sets of 10
Low windmill( right hand only) 5x5
Halos 5x15/15

mon
kb press 1-5 ladder
cleans 10 sets of 5/5
chin/pulls 5x5
rack walks

wed
one arm swings 10 sets of 10/10
kb press 3x3
halos 5x8
rack walks

I also realized that much of my problems in the snatch come from holding the top position too long. I lose momentum and this makes it much harder.I do better when I stay in the swing.I will let the press work the static overhead. 100 reps is a good number.
My clean form has deteriorated a bit as I dont do them anymore so this will be good work too, and easy on the body.
I will do my mixed grip chin pulls as this weird torque seems to balance my twisted body.
and the two hand swings will be quick and dirty, another fast hundred reps.
the one arm swings will be my overvolume day, just 200 reps.
and the walks are working so they stay.

Todays workout

KB press

26x5/5x2
36x5/5x2
44x3/3
53x3/3
53x2/2
44x4/4
36x5/5

I can't beleive how much different this feels now that I am doing them right. It feels like my bench press did,which was my most natural lift. I really am getting the lat to fire first and pushing away from the bell rather than trying to push it up. The forearm is also staying PERFECTLY vertical and I am arranging my body around that rather than vice versa.NO shoulder pain at all and it feel RIGHT to strengthen the top. Passive overhead flexion is already better

two handed swings
5 sets of 15 with 53/30 sec rest/sets

this was easy. didnt feel biceps at all



Rack walk
20 kg 1200 feet 200feet per arm

scap traps


pullup grip 5 sets of 10

BW 162.2
BF 8.6%
Water 60.4%
the little bit of tension made my mass go up right away. arms and shoulder feel bigger already!

Datsit,staying loose.


4 comments:

Royce said...

NICE!
Rock on dude, really glad to hear about the presses.
When you hit it right it Just seems to "float" up huh?

I'm still hit and miss but getting better.

Low windmills, very cool.
Don't feel bad about the snatch and swing numbers bro. remember 95% of Americans couldn't do 100 snatches to save their lives.

Peace out man!
I

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man.I just realized its not good for me to hammer the same nail so hard.and its 99.9% ,lol.

Royce said...

LOL
America is one fat lazy country alright.
Very sad.

Franz Snideman said...

Great!

Nice to see you pressing!

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...