Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Three days of pain.


Now that I am 'retired' from competition training has been harder for me than when I had a goal and a deadline to meet. I've been training for comps since I was 14 and having one foot on the gas and one on the break is SO much harder than going balls out.

Then I realized that I have FOUR certs to teach at this year and each one is three days of pain. Not only for the 'victims' but for me as I walk, stand, carry, lift,teach and move more in those three days than I usually do in two weeks. As my function has been steadily returning these last two years my ability to do more each week is exciting and today I realized I have to train for these certs as if I'm training for a competition.

Especially since I will be leading more 'smokers'and hopefully the graduation workout which has to be a killer!

My shoulder feels almost NORMAL now and, just like with my knee, it's amazing and scary at the same time. Didnt want to do anything at all with it this weekend except for enjoy the lack of pain.All this work unwinding myself is now really paying off and good things are happening every day.

My studying of Bretts KB basics DVD really paid off today as my form felt better than ever on the transfers and hip snap and bell height was the best it's been in ages.

Transfers( wave loading)

16kgx 20,24,26= 70 reps/2520
20kg x20,24,26=70 reps/3080
24kgx 20,24,26=70 reps/3710

total reps= 210
total pounds=9310

did these in circuit fashion. One set of 20 reps with 16, then the 20 then the 24 . then back to 24 reps with the 16 etc. form felt PERFECT. no shoulder pain at all but my legs and hips got smoked. good jump position.It's so good to feel good. So I can make myself hurt, lol.
Never said I wasn't twisted.

Bottoms up cleans
16 kg x5/5
20kgx5/5
24 kgx3/3x2 sets

these felt better than they have in ages. havent been able to do them with my shoulder and they were easy.

Bottoms up press( One kb two hands)
12 kgx8
16kgx5
20kgx5x3 sets

YES!!!!! these felt JUST like the stick presses on my shoulder mechanics and the shoulder felt better AFTER each set than it did before( just like with the stick press/shrug)So nice to be able to do a press that doesnt hurt!

Face pulls 5x15
Kneeling Pushups" 5x12-15 !!! no pain either.

Rack walks 20 kg
200 foot per arm
1200 feet total

Bear Crawls
16 kg x 100 feet( got to get these ready) knew these were going to be tough but forgot how much. more about getting the shoulder in the right position than anything.I will be able to do these though, have to put them in the mix.


BW 160.8
BF 8.2 %
Water 61.5%

this is the lowest it has stayed in ages.

Dats it, gotta stretch.


6 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

That's right. You have to teach 4 cert's, good God! That'll work you but something tells me that you're up for the challenge :)

Mark Reifkind said...

it's gonna be interesting, that's for sure :))

Royce said...

Pain free man, awesome.
I remember when you said you were off all your prescription NSAIDS. I thought that rocked, now look at ya'!!

Extrememly cool man.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Royce, I am now down to just one alleve a day and soon that will be gone as well.

Authentic Strength Training said...

Four Certs, you Animal. I am also relatively pain free during training, but the wether has left me stiff as a barbell in the morning. 26 degress, no clouds, 20 MPH winds. Hoo Yah pennsylvania. How do you fair with side presses and such?

Mark Reifkind said...

will,
still can't do side presses yet well with the right arm but am enourage by how it's feeling and how much ROM I am getting back. as well being able to press anything overhead with no pain.
it's cold and rainy here too although nowhere near as bad as where you are. it's not bothering me as much as I expected.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...