Friday, March 02, 2007

Speed test.

Some are disputing the numbers that I put up on the post "power", saying that I just posted numbers proving what I wanted to see. I wish that were true; as that would mean my two pood swing to chest height took the same 2 seconds that my 24 kg swing did. but that is not the case.

Tim Dymmel and I worked on this and he timed me and vice versa for sets of FIVE reps.We counted total elapsed time and divided by five to give us the speed per rep.Not perfectly accuracte but certainly good enough to prove the point.
Of course it is obvious that one can move a lighter bell faster than a heavier bell but this precisely the point.
When one's goal of a set is to produce maximal force then the speed of the rep is very, very important.But it has to be the right weight. Too light and it will move too fast to produce max force; too slow and the same thing happens.But one's INTENT is just as important. You must try to move fast in order to move fast.

This is not to say, of course, that everyone's goal should be to produce maximum force for every rep; just as it shouldnt be to produce minimal force per rep. How hard or easy one swings or snatches must be determined by many factors, not the least of which is the individuals goals at the time.

Some have also said that this is only even relevant to powerlifters and not to 'joe or jane average'. I thoroughly disagree with that belief as what most clients I encounter are lacking is decent strength and the ability to coordinate their entire body while they are attempting to produce strength.

So if "jane average, desk jockey" uses the minimal amount of force necessary to swing a 26 pound kb she is producing only 26 pounds of force per rep. If she, with proper biomechanics , alignment and compensatory acceleration techniques, learns how to increase her force production per rep she is increasing the load available to her muscles, bones and cns as if she were using a heavier kettlebell! Virtual force.

Hardstyle is NOT just for martial power, or athletes or others seeking max speed and strength. It is also for 'joe average' who wants to progress their strength in a safe and productive manner.

And comparing kb swings or snatches to barbell snatches is also silly.You have to compare apples with apples. And no, one does not start out trying to produce max force per rep,nor is is by any means the only way to use the kb. Certainly not if your goal is 100 reps in one set.

I certainly am not advocating trainers to time their charges' swing sets and make dropping seconds off their time the goal.But the test does prove my point that by accelerating a lighter bell, purposefully, through the range of motion one produces more force and thereby more power. Even for the simple fitness crowd how can this be bad?

So I propose a test:

1) measure the distance the bell swings from directly underneath the body( for simplicity sake) to chest height

2) swing the heaviest bell one can for five reps, time it and divide by five

3) do the same thing with the next lightest bell down.

4) try to swing the bells as strongly as possible.

do the math: weight x distance/ time. see what produces the most power.

Even if your goal is to be a good jogger how can it be bad to develop the ability to produce more force? Or,another word for force: STRENGTH.

So for all the haters and naysayers take the test yourself and report back, comrades.Prove me wrong.

4 comments:

Paul , Marguerite , Alex, Luke 'n' James said...

What about inertia being a factor?
Wasn't some guy on DD going to write a paper on the physics of kbs?

Paul

Mark Reifkind said...

Cate,

thanks for testing this for me.you are seriously strong and obviously fast, hence your success in the sport.It will be interesting to see how others fare as well.

My test was much slower with the heavier bell,but I was doing one arm swings/snatches. I wonder what it would take to slow you down?

do you think it would be different with one arm swings or snatch?. with two arms the bell probably just isnt heavy enough to slow you down.It was for me.

and yes the higher you go the longer it takes to come down, another reason Pavels talks aobut pulling oneself down as you advnace to create more downward kinetic energy as well.Bands attatched do the same thing.

So if you are moving the bell faster would you not agree you are producing more force and therefore more power? This seems elementary.How could it not be?

also did you feel a difference in total body effort with the faster attempts than a 'just enough' speed?

I wonder what would be the difference with your less trained clients/athletes?

thank you again for doing this and getting back to me.

Mark Reifkind said...

Paul

yes Kenneth Jay said something about having done some tests about kb forces during the snatch as well as caloric and o2 consumption.

Mark Reifkind said...

cate,

yes I agree a swing is not the same a bench press and that you can do it relaxed or as fast as possible.

and yes we agree that with the techniques I describe you can do very powerful anaerobic work with the bell. That is pretty much my point.For the average client I really think this type of training can create more strength with less total mass.Look at tracy, she has combined longer( I call them Aerobic threshhold sets) with a faster pace and gotten some great fat burning as well as muscularizing effects. Thats my point.
the longer you apply the force the more workyou are doing in a shorter time.

I think I should have stated that it was a one arm swing/snatch that we tested as the two arm version would be much closer in time, with me as well.

ANd yes as strong as you are I would have suspected you would be fast as well. I can't imagine swinging a 16 would do anythig for you either.Just as it wouldnt for me.
Right now the 53 is not my top end for snatches but damn close so the 44 is perfect for speed. the 16 is too light.With so few weight choices this isnt going to be a perfect approach but I err on the light/more power side,especially with my joint injuries.

I think you would be a good subject for the one arm swing, you just need a Beast, a 40 kg and a two pood to do the experiment! You're just too strong!LOL.Not many men, much less women are as strong as you.

and yes, perhaps fives are too short to create the effect.The idea is to do the reps and stop BEFORE they slow down, therby maximizing power output.For developing strength and speed that is.

Remember also that I was an endurance athlete for many years and know very well about pacing and prolonged efforts and such.CLimbing ten mile hills on a race bike is very much a lesson in pain tolerance and relaxed effort.SO I know what you are referring to.

Try the test with snatches perhaps instead of swing and see it that makes a difference.

I very much appreciate your approach to this discussion. After all the drama it's nice to actualluy discuss this and not just argue :))
thanks

Rif

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...