Monday, March 12, 2007

Swinging and Walking

Good session today;even got to train with my 17 year old son Gabriel, who is using Enter the Kettlebell program for his senior project! I have been trying to get him to train for years so this is great stuff for me. He has the legs I always wanted and could get very strong if he focused.

But I had some revelations about the distillation I wrote about this weekend. It is refining even further into more condensed 'spirit',lol.I tried to do the rack holds but realized they would compromise my rack walks at the end and the walking was more important and still worked the same static rack hold position.
Putting the walk further up the program really showed me I should give this exercise it's due as it's such an important thing for me to improve.It has helped my everyday walking immensely.

I also realized how to organize it so I don't keep the volume and intensity too close over the three days, as Brett and Tom suggested. I will only use the 16, 24 and 32 kg bells. Let the sharp jumps in weight dictate the loads for the day. I will wave the loads according to energy that session.If I feel good I will push it, if not a lower volume. Saturdays will be strength(heavy 32 kg) days, Mondays endurance( light 16 kg) and Wednesdays speed(medium 24 kg).

So after each heavy day there is a light day. then a speed and force day to set me back up for saturdays 'strength' workout.

I will alternate between one arm swings and darcs so not only the weights will vary but the movements as well,over a two week cycle.

So:
Sat sat
one arm swing 32 darc 32
snatch holds 24 snatch hold 24
halos 16 halos 16

mon mon
darc 16 one arm swing 16
vest walk 16 rack walk 16
face pulls/stick press face pulls/stick press

wed wed
one arm swing 24 kg darc 24 kg
snatch hold 16 snatch hold 16
rack walk 24 vest walk 16


this looks much cleaner now.Can't get more minimal than that, lol.

Todays workout
Darcs
20 kg( thought of the above plan AFTER the workout,lol)
x20
25
30
35
40
50
20
25
30
45

320 reps/14080 lbs.

Cant add when I train, was going for 300 reps for the movie '300',lol.Better over than under.havent done reps in awhile. it was sweet. good pain.reminded me of training with mike c and doing 100 rep sets with the 16 kg and dying from it, :))

rack holds
2 16 kg x 1.5 min x 2

Vest walk with 16 kg
2000 feet
200 foot per arm 400 per lap.

this felt easy. the 24 will not be though, lol


face pulls
4x15

bw 161.4
bf 8.8%
water 60.5%

datsit, gotta stretch.

5 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

You are a very contemplative man, a thinker in the best sense of the word!

Yoana and I, also in the spirit of the movie 300, gave our classes our classic "300"reps workout.

100 snatches (broken into 5 sets of 20)
100 cleans (5 sets of 10/10)
100 MB slams (5 sets of 20)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz that is high praise indeed. great workout for your victims!

cayenne said...

I am proud to have in common with you being the father of a wonderful son named Gabriel ! : ) ( I can't not mention his also wonderful twin brother Ariel.)

"East coast Gabriel" (and Ariel of course,) is 11 years your son's junior, so I can't say too much about his (their) legs' athletic abilities yet.

How is ETK Gabriel's senior project ?

All the best,

Eddie

Mark Reifkind said...

eddie,
very interesting. havent met a lot of kids named gabriel so that's cool.
gabe's senior project had to be a combination of a report, a demonstration and a 'project' on any subject that interested them.

Royce said...

Very cool, I hope my kids stay active. It's completely amazing how much influence we have on them, and visa versa. Please let us know how his project turns out it sounds like a lot of fun.



BTW Rif a BBSM is a Beef Builders Super Master gripper. It ranks between a Ironmind 2 and 3. I'm closing in on the 3 if my hands stay healthy!!

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...