Friday, July 27, 2007

Kenneth Jay on the Snatch protocol rep and weight schemes

from Dragon Door forum:

.... the 36/36 protocol is more suited for lighter bells, whereas the 15:15 is forgiving when using heavier bells in terms of stimulating VO2.The 36/36 protocol is set at 97-100%VO2max and the 15:15 protocol is set between 100-130%VO2max which makes them differnet in terms of stimulatory effects.
A good progression on how to use these protocols is to start using the 36/36 protocol for 4-6 weeks testing VO2 snatch cadence once every other week and after that switch to the 15:15 protocol for 4-8 weeks.
Doing the 15:15 protocol you should move up a kettlebell size once you are able to do 50 sets at 1.3 x your VO2max cadence.

-Speed is KING/KJ

4 comments:

Christine said...

Thanks for posting this, I needed a little light shed.

Pete said...

Rif,

Should I stay at 7 reps per set, or should I focus on bumping up the weight? Intuition says I should bump up the reps per set. What sayeth the Rifstonian?

Pete

Mark Reifkind said...

Pete,

KJ say you must be able to do 7-8 reps per 15 sec to get the correct max HR.
when you can do 8 reps per cycle for 50 sets then I would bump it up but I am just learning this too.

Pete said...

Great, thanks Rif. It is a very cool protocol. I had three of my recruits do it, and they did 50 sets! (although the kb sizes were wrong-the 16s were being used by the fire coach. 1 recruit used the 20 kg. 1 used the 12, and 1 used the 8 kg.)Next stop for me will be 50.

Thursday Ruck

 Decent one.  Legs feeling heavy and tired but lungs and head good 45 lbs 6 laps 3 miles 60 min 175.2