Wednesday, September 12, 2007

San Jose TSC

One Contestant : Joe Sarti

weight 175.
Elite Division

Deadlift
1st attempt 491
2nd attempt 524
3rd attempt 546 PR.

10 kg Tactical Pullups
15 reps

32 kg Snatch 5 minutes
61 reps

491 opener

second attempt 524 PR

a few seconds of his 546 attempt before the batteries died.pictures to come.



My training:

Still recovering from the weekend and coming back slowly.Worked on my swing form and getting my glutes back into the lift.Opted for the 20kg bell today. A good choice.

one arms swings 20 kg
10/10x10 sets
100 reps
4400 lbs

these felt great and the speed and power were strong.Very snappy. At 160 pound the 20 kg really is the best weight for me to move really fast.I can move the 24 kg fast but it takes a lot more. I have to stay rooted in the swing as it is the base for all my snatch work.If I get too caught up in the snatch I lose my hip strength and end up overloading my arms.

snatch with holds
6/6x5 sets
60 reps
2640

160 total reps
7040 lbs total
this is a good light load.felt fresh when done .

The snatches with a solid two second pause at the top felt good. It seems I do better looking up on my right side and down on my left. Ah, its great to be symmetrical!But looking up(at the bell) with the right makes the lockout much easier

scap pullaparts
stick slides
squat rack stick stretch
stick shoulder extensions
floor work

I am wondering if I can maybe do double kb presses now. I dont think single arms are good but perhaps double bells. its in keeping with going back to my gymnastics origins and the bilateral press was one of the first moves I did.The stick slide an extensions convince me I will get back to bilateral work again.Will try when I am fresh.

14 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

I was waiting for this. Thanks Rif. Joe weighs only 175? Must be made out of a lighter alloy than I thought. Great effort; strong man.

Tommy Shook said...

Congrats Joe. Well done.

Mark Reifkind said...

yeah, it's hard to believe his has that much mass at 175. he is very strong,obviously.

Geoff Neupert said...

Instead of doubles, how 'bout alternating presses/see-saw presses? Seems to me it'd make a nice transition to doubles plus you get the feel of having two in the rack. Just a thought...

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff,

the see saws are too much like the single arm press. All the stick slides and overhead stick stretching I have been doing seem to be helping me stabize the entire scapulo-throacic area.we'll see I havent done them yet.Did the press presentation at the cert and my left side pressed so strongly I started to miss it again.

Geoff Neupert said...

To be honest, Rif, I wasn't thinking about them with regards to loading on the shoulder, but the lumbar spine and the system in general--2x16's may be easy on the shoulders, but it's twice the weight on some of your previously weakened areas. A double MP is "doubly" hard on the low back with much less room for error than the single MP. Plus, the see-saw's, if done correctly, pass each other with the upper arms parallel to the ground. So you get a slight feel for the double load without maximum exposure right off the bat. It's what you can survive, right...?

Mark Reifkind said...

what I was thinking geoff is really leaning in from the sternum like I am doing with the overhead stick stretch and my snatch holds. It seems to be easier with both hands overhead.
my behind the neck flexibility has really changed of late and the activation of the scapular muscles is much better.
I was also thinking if I can manage the lean in it would be beneficial for my low back;for me the more extension there the better.
we'll see, it could hurt with 2 12 kgs and mean nothing :(

Geoff Neupert said...

I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Authentic Strength Training said...

Rif,
I am hanging in Bro, it's all good. One contestant? Were all the hard dogs on vacation or something?

Joe Sarti said...

thank you Aaron and Tommie!

Franz Snideman said...

Joe is ........a BEAST!

WOW!

Mark Reifkind said...

good to hear will. I didnt expect anyone else,no calls or inquiries. no worries.

Unknown said...

Rif, Is the RKC manual much different than it was in June?

Mark Reifkind said...

no tim, just a few things.but it always gets better and tighter.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...