Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Big Book of Clubbells.

The Big Book of Clubbells arrived yesterday, ahead of the bells or the dvd, which gives me some time to absorb ALL this info before I start throwing around the new toys. Really well done book with tons of great photo illustrations and very specific text.
I was a little suprised, though, to see how much emphasis is placed on the same mechanical positions and techniques as is emphasized in the RKC swing mechanics. From getting and keeping a lordotic curve in the lumbar spine, to snapping the hips and yes, you read it here too, the anal lock and glute contracions in the rooting techniques for pelvic stability,to packing the shoulders in the socket for shoulder health and strength.
from page 81
" not maintaining proper alignment, especially under the load of progressive resistance training, can reinforce and create performance impediments,as well potential injuries. Always establish proper crown to coccyx alignment before adding any load to your structure , and maintain this alignment throughout every movement while under load."
Sounds very familiar and makes total sense to me.
He also writes about how maintaining these alignments works with the principles of tensegrity our bodies operate under and optimizes the stored elastic energy in our muscular/fascial sytem when we do load the body. very interesting stuff.
" the body is built like Buckminster Fuller's Tensegrity model- it's composed of hard, compressive struts that are pushing outwards in a sea of continuous tension that is pulling inwards, finding the optimal balance to create the magical anti-gravitational act of human upright locomotion".
Can't wait for the bells to arrive.

7 comments:

4 Ranges, RKC said...

Rif, please keep me posted on your progress with the clubbells.

Over a year ago, I had a choice to start with clubbells or kettlebells.

I chose kettlebells, and have never regretted that choice.

I'd like to hear your input with regard to clubbell training and how it will affect you and your overall toolbox. :)

BTW: I left an review on your instructor's page at DD. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

dude I just saw the review, thank you SO much for the extremely kind words.It is greatly appreciated. I am honored.
Kbs are my base line but I am hoping the clubs will add a new dimension to my shoulder rom and dynamic strength.the more my shoulders open up the more I see the utilizablity of circular work as well.
we'll see when they get here.

Mark Reifkind said...

plus its just more swings and using momentum to increase force and I am all about ballistics these days.I like the idea of being able to do close stance outside the legs swings alot.

BJ Bliffert said...

You should be getting a package in the next couple of days, wink wink. Sent it friday

BJ Bliffert said...

You'll really like swipes for opening your shoulders. Just wait until you try them.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks bj I appreciate it. so many cool new things to try.

Alan said...

Rif,

How did the clubbells help with shoulder ROM? I train exclusvily with kettlebells and love them but have some shoulder issues, probably from sitting at a computer all day. How would clubbells fit in a KB routine.

Thanks!

Alan

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...