Saturday, October 13, 2007

Climbing uphill.

Great day today! Woke up feeling strong and ready, always a great, albeit rare, thing.Wanted to jump right into the clubbells but I had work to do first.Nick decided to do my workout with me today as his back wasnt up to heavy squats. He had quite the revelation about what 200 plus heavy swings feel like.He got my analogy to climbing hills quite vividly.
Uphill ladders make you tough, just like hills do.

One arm swings
16kgx5/5/5/5 x 3 sets
24 kgx5/5x2

32kg x
5/5/5/5
6/6/6/6
7/7/7/7
8/8/8/8
9/9/9/9
10/10/10/10
10/10
10/10

220 reps PR.

this was way easier than last week.even the 40 rep set. good, this ssst style is where I need to go.

One kb push press
16kgx 4 min each arm, 8 min total PR
37 reps each set
74 reps total
9.25 reps per minute

I was hoping for 10 reps per minute but the swings kicked my ass more than expected.This was hard but mainly cause my arms were so tired to begin with. 5 minutes is definitely doable but I will lead with this next week.boring as all hell but very tough.

Clubbells.
My first practice with the ominous ten pounders. very warmed up so I jumped right into the basics with two bells:

rock its( the beginning sway back and forth
two cb swings
pendulum swings
pendulum swings to flag hold ( these are way cool)

same as above with one bell.

Torch press with one bell
Torch press with two bells
These are tough with my limited right overhead ROM but its such a different position it will be very complimentary to my kb work.

Side rockits
side swings

heres some video of my first set


very cool. its a great mix with the kb work and I feel very natural with it. Like everything else just need a lot of work on the basics.More studying to do for sure and Mrs Rif as requested her own pair of fives so I will get those and a single 15 or 20 pounder for the two hand/one club work. This reminds me very much of parallel bar swings. Plus I really get to lock my elbows, which feels very good to do.

datsit, staying loose.

5 comments:

Frank Castiglione said...

Cool wokout! How do the clubbells compare to the kettlebells. Do the former work the grip more?

Mark Reifkind said...

well this was just my first practice with them so it's hard to really say much other than it feels similar but very different.
I got them mainly to be able to do a swing with weight outside the legs and balance out the inside leg work of kbs.
totally different type of grip work.opposite pull of the kb.
I like all the elbow lock work too.
lots to learn.
I think it will be a good compliment to my kb practice.

Chris said...

I was just thinking that you could probably do that with a couple of sledgehammers.....

Still excited after England's win in the Rugby World Cup semi finals by the way.

Tom Furman said...

I was going to mention Rock-Its. You should be able to exploit them. I have some folks superset Rock-Its and Swipes for Skiing season. It is very effective,.. Kind of orthopedically sound, PHA, methodology.

Mark Reifkind said...

chris

I bet you could do it although it might be different with ALL the weight at the club head but who knows. start light,lol.


tom,
I think the side rock its, swings and pendulums would be incredible for skiers also.

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...