Wednesday, October 10, 2007

KB Practice

Great workout today with Joe and we really got a lot done,especially in regards technique.Always trying to refine and explore how to make the movements better. Stronger, faster, more efficient and more ME.What my gut tells me what will work as opposed to what I think I am to supposed to do.Its always an amalgam, never exactly one thing or the other.
You have to really concentrate and thats why I love having the video available; it's such incredible REAL TIME feedback. You can coach yourself as if you were observing a client or training partner.
Plus you can break it down frame by frame and analyze what you actually ARE doing; as opposed to what you think you are doing or what it feels like( rarely acurate).
Joe throws that 32 kg around like a 16 kg. Its freaky how easily and nonchalantly he can just snatch, press or power jerk the two pood.and the 40 kg. kid is strong AND flexible. I hate him :))

Snatch
16kgx10/10 swings x10
16kg x5/5 snatch x2

24 kgx
5/5
6/6
7/7x 3 rounds
108 reps
5724 lbs
Did the snatches with a solid hold at the top. The right shoulder is much better. I experimented with looking up at the top with the right but the video shows a better position with the eyes straight ahead. either way I have to aim my arm for my midline for it to get close to the head, and an easier lockout.Weight felt light, which is good cause it is,lol.



24 kg push press( one kb)
16kgx3/3
24kgx5/5x5 sets

This was very solid and the positions feel better than ever. I actually jerked it on my left side,quite by accident. I am amazed my heels are coming off the ground as I can jump a bit now and the knee is being very nice to me :))
I can see in the video that I am getting more knee flexion in the dip and the catch than I even thought. Good stuff for my much neglected quads. Five minutes each side with the 16 kg soon.
This will be the move that I will get back to using the two pood with again; not the snatch.



had some very cool experiences with Z with some clients. One woman came in with a very locked up levator scapula, which I would have normally thumped and shoulder slid, etc.
The AC joint area complained when we did spine lengthening with the arms out in front and scapula protracted.
Instead I had her do 6 position shoulder circles with that arm and the left side six position hip circles in each direction.
Then I retested her spine lengthening in each posititon and NO PAIN.CRAZY!
She kept doing shoulder, wrist and opposite side hip and ankle circles between sets and left with no pain. Like I said. Crazy.
Plus my stuff is feeling very good as well.

BW 159.2 !!! this is the lowest in 25 years.
BF 7.9%
Water 61.5%

I thought I was heavy, thats why I weighed,lol.

Datsit, staying loose. and skinny it looks like.

7 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Rif, when doing your push presses the left side definitely looks more natural and fluid (not the right side is bad...far from it). It looks like you right shoulder does not want to go as far into flexion as your left. Is that true?

Joe Sarti said...

Rif, thank you for the kind words. Your knowledge and coaching is definitely helping me to achieve amazing new heights.

One of the things I appreciate most and I hope people who read this blog understand is that you are a great student of one, your body and two, health and fitness on all levels. Being an high level competitive athlete, a trainer, a coach and student has enabled you to achieve many greats things as seen in your previous posts, etc.

The best part for me is I get to learn and train with you each and every week and I truly believe if I would have had you in my life as a young high school athlete I would have gone further in my sports with you by my side.

Thank you and I am so proud that you are receiving the recognition you so much deserve.

Mark Reifkind said...

franz,

exactly. I am constantly fighting a war of inches of ROM with my right side.it is SO much better than it has been and suprisingly the Z is really making a difference. some days are better( looser) than others and much depends on how much bodywork I have to do that day beforehand.As I'm sure you're familiar with.
again, not having any intact ligamentous structures or capsule in the shoulder makes things very, ahem, 'mobile' in that shoulder,and my body locks things down pretty quickly to protect what's left of the joint.
It is getting better. wasnt long ago at all I couldnt do the pressing motion at all without pain. even with no weight.
all those overhead holds really helped tons.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks for the kind words Joe, you have really stepped up and trained hard and consistently. you don't even realize how much talent you have and you are just discovering how far hard work and discipline can take you. It's only the beginning for you.
as far as how far you would go in a competitive situation I think the only problem you have is that you are too normal and dont have enough of the 'right character flaw' to get to the "top",lol.Which is a good thing and a compliment.
Your goal of being strong, fit ,mobile and avoiding ruining your joints and still being spry as an old guy is smart and prudent.
I think the long cycle clean and jerk is going to be such a good move for you.
thanks again, you've been a great and dependable training partner, and a solid pair of eyes. always good observations.

Franz Snideman said...

Well at least (like you said) you're able to press at all. Considering your orthopedic medical history I would say your are doing great!

Mark Reifkind said...

all the parts are coming together franz. For all the 15 years that I powerlifted I didnt do any overhead lifts.They all( db/bb) hurt and they werent thought to help the bench so I didnt put my arms overhead very much for all that time.Did some overhead partial lockouts for awhile but not much.
only when I discovered the kb and realized they ALLOWED me to put my arm overhead again with weights did I start to work on regaining my overhead mobility and strength.
Its come an amazingly long way in a relatively short time.
The off set handle of the kb made ALL the difference to me being able to press overhead again with my restricted shoulder as well as to be able to snatch.
Its also built a muscular balance into the shoulder girdle that I only wish I had had when I was a gymnast.

Mike T Nelson said...

Looking great! Nice job as always!
Glad the Z is working well for you and clients!

Odd question, one the snatch, is your breathing a little different with your right arm and your left arm? I was not able to entirely tell on the video even with the sound cranked. Just curious.

Rock on!
Mike N

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...