Monday, October 29, 2007

Push press and cb swings.

Decided to get on the schedule I wrote and today was push presses with the 20 kg.Took off the OL shoes and did a regular push press driving through the heel and hip instead of off the toes and quads with the jerk. Very different feel and it took awhile to re-adapt to the PP after getting the second dip under for the jerk down. The jerk feel more like jumping and these feel more like a longer hip snap,staying flat footed the whole way. focused as well on really accelerating the arm in sync with the hip./leg drive.

warmup
two clubbell torch swings 10# 5x10
two clubbell swipes 10# 3x 15 ( first time trying these with tens.not bad)

Push press
16kgx10/10x2
20 kgx 6/6
8/8
10/10 x 2 rounds.
96 reps

so different flat footed, much more hips, less quads.solid though.more technique work than anything but I need it.shoulder settled into position really well.

Two clubbell swipes 10#
5x15
definitely have a good feel for this move naturally but it will need a bunch of work to get my right shoulder to stay in the right 'line'.I do really like the close stance nature of the clubbell work.

Inside swings
10#x10 each side; these felt solid
Inside/outside pendulums 10#x 8 each side.( these need work,lol, not really sure of the groove yet)
Mills 5# x 10 reps each side
10# x8 reps each side
two clubbell swings 10#
40 reps ( these felt great and can really see working into high reps here.)
one arm clubbell swing ( left side only)
15#x20 reps another great move
Shield cast ( kind of like a one arm halo)
5#x10each arm x3 sets ( like these)
10#x5 each arm( now this is more challenging,lol. can't see anything heavy here for along time,maybe forever.

felt like a decent workout but I am definitely in the practice phase with the bells and with light ones at that. Will take awhile to really sort out the loading I should be doing with these to get more of a 'workout'.


datsit, staying loose.

2 comments:

Howie B said...

Thanks for the demo Rif. Being someone who's studied martial art for a while, I'm shocked that these are not a part of any training plan, they look like a natural fit, particularly with the arm and shoulder extensions involved. They "look" easy but I can only imagine how not easy they are. Cool.

Mark Reifkind said...

no problem howie,

scott sonnon said his original intention for the cb's was for martial artist and I can see the relevance.
I really like how they force my elbows to lock and take stress off my always tight biceps and give a totally different loading stress to my forearms.
I'm not sure I will need or use much heavier bells than the 15's though as I see this as very much an adjunct to my main kb training.
I also like the close stance work, it fits my body very well and I actually have much better levers swinging things to the outside of my legs than across midline.
Much more sore this AM( muscles, not joints thankfully) than expected although I felt like I hardly did anything yesterday!

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...