Friday, February 01, 2008

Back in the rack.


Before I started doing Z drills I spent alot of time hanging and stretching in the power rack.Decompression hangs from the chin bar in the middle of my simmons power rack really worked great for opening up my tight anterior chain(hip flexors,trunk flexors(abs), obliques, shoulder,arm and wrist flexors.I would hang with both arms overgrip, both arms undergrip and one arm at at time. In all possible angles of supination or prontation.The height of the rack is crucial as it fit me so that when my back was fully stretched out correctly my heels were flat on the floor when my arms were perfectly overhead.

I would start off with my heels 1-2 inches off the floor and slowly the abs, lats and pecs as well as the lumbar spine would open up and I could stand comfortably.I did these daily for the last few years. Helped amazingly.

But with all standing drills with z and the great increases in mobility and shoulder flexion while standing I havent felt the need to stretch out much overhead.The floor poses took care of the abs tightness .

And just as I realized that I did need to get on the floor and continue working on increasing my flexibility as well as my mobility I also just got that I still need to hang some and work the pressing pattern with the stick slides. Not as much,just like I dont need as much floor or foam roller work, but still need to do it.Just like the floor,...

I was amazed at how tight my abs, thoracic spine and lats were when I just did some hangs. I could really see the myofascial winding in my torso and the hanging really gets that to open up and square off.takes a ton of pressure off everything.I can't beleive I used to swing around bars like this. crazy.

And my legs are pretty sore form all the loading of late as well as being on my feet;the foam roller opened that up fast.Especially the rectus femoris which I had neglected to realize so long IS a hip flexor as well as a knee extensors, and, as such, is prone to getting short and staying that way.The foam roller is perfect for this type of muscle.
Using the rifga poses, the z drills, rollers ,decompression hangs, working the squat pattern for flexiblity,the press patterns for shoulder stability and maintaining more looseness than tension in the body are the key components of my pre/rehab needs.Add in the greatest vibration massager , the G5, and I can stay on top of my active recovery as much as I know how.
Everything needs to be worked on regularly. How much each aspect needs will vary regularly. Just like training strengths and weaknesses ebb and flow and need to be regulated I need to keep in touch with all the things that got me this far in the first place.

5 comments:

D Silveri said...

Hopefully someday, my garage will look like that garage! man haha

someday, im sure over the years it has built up some memories

Mark Reifkind said...

lots of good training went on there, thats for sure.

fawn said...

I have been hanging upside down by my hips in my yoga class for the past month to release my thoracic spine. William even gave me some manual traction last week. I totally agree... hanging is a great release.

Nice rack... I'm jealous, I would love one of those for my house. Do they come in chrome and smoked glass?

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn,lol probably but I don't want to see it :))

Joe Sarti said...

Solid! Like this post man, more great insight into how and what your body needs. Your awareness of you within your body is frickin amazing and when you share these awakenings it makes me reflect on how and what I can be doing to further help my body.

Great stuff

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...