Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day Two, The RKC transformation




It never fails to amaze me when I get to experience the incredible transformation the RKC candidates go through from day one through day two. One would think that being trained into the ground for nine hours straight with intense kettle bell drill after intense kettlebell workout the next day the skills would be stiff, rough and less effective but the opposite instead occurs.


And after going through more of the same; but harder, that at the end of day two the candidates would be breaking down and showing signs of skill deterioration but it never happens! Instead what happens is just what Team Rif showed me yesterday when instead of getting worse they got better. MUCH better. All their skills improved, across the board and the camaraderie and team spirit was downright inspiring!


I literally got chills at the end of the day yesterday as they went through technique work getting ready for the technique testing that we have today. It was an amazing transformation for my group as I'm sure it was for all the other RKC candidates. They got stronger, not weaker and their heart and spirit showed itself in way that never fails to get me going.They listened ,learned and applied everything we taught them and went after it with a vengence!Incredible.


Today is the crucial day, however, with technique tests on all the basic skills, the teaching test and the infamous Grad workout, which will hold a special surprise for all the candidates! I know they will all do us proud. It's so great to be part of this incredible organization and get to experience this type of transformation of people on a regular basis. For a coach and trainer there really is nothing better.

3 comments:

Howie B said...

Just goes to show how important one's instructor is to one's progress! They have only done so well because of you and your talent, skills and ability to transfer that over. It's a win/win for everyone. Particularly the kettlebell community. Wish I was there!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks man,thats nice of you to say. they worked very, very, very hard and listened intently all day each day.

Jordan Vezina said...

I got down there today and it really does have to be witnessed in order to 'get it', and now I am even more amped to get out to one this summer.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...