Monday, February 18, 2008

It's all heavy when you're tired.

Man, you miss one workout....Really had to make myself go into the gym today after four very long days in a row.The tough things for me about these certs is standing for most of 12-14 hours a day and not getting enough of my body work time.The combination of way more tension than usual and way less bodywork and focused stretching catches up with me. Even the instructors with no knee issues were noticing how stiff standing a lot makes you.
And the more twisted I get the more twisted I get.Unwinding, no matter what form it takes; Z, rifga,massage, or hydrotherapy takes time. Today I unwound.
Part of that is training.It always starts rough and finishes well. We have to move to stay healthy and the less I move the worse I feel.But it's got to be the right kind of movement and the right amount.
So today is snatch day with the 20 kg.Decided to warmup slowly and use some ladders.

Snatches with 2 sec pauses
20kgx
5/5
6/6
7/7
8/8
9/9
10/10
9/9
8/8
7/7
6/6
5/5

150 reps
6600 lbs

The great thing about ladders for me is they allow me to start slowly and warmup. By the time I get to some higher numbers I am feeling good.Same thing today.

One arm swings
24kgx10/10x5 sets
100 reps
5300 lbs

Missed my swing workout this saturday so this was for that.I was actually feeling strong here and really focused on pulling myself into the hole and hiking the bell harder.It's always great to get a serious refresher course on the basics when I go to a cert.

Two Clubbell Swipes
(2)15's x20 x 4 sets
80 reps

these went well too although I was planning for 100 reps. My grip was fatiguing a bit and I didnt want to get on the 'nerve' so I shut her down.I actually am getting smarter about this stuff :))

BW 163
BF8.6%
Water 61 %( I don't think I've reached this level before. strange)

Datsit. Lots of stretching and thumping to do still.

8 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Mark, does 2 sec pause at each snatch stimulate your shoulder/lats area, or is this to increase ROM, or something else.

Mark Reifkind said...

takei,
I do the pauses for two reasons: one, to build the flexibility as well as stability in my overhead position and two, to counterbalance the speed work I do on max vo2 day

Mike T Nelson said...

When you say "wound" are you referring to myofascial winding?

Looks like the RKC cert there went great! Nice work.

Rock on
Mike N

Mark Reifkind said...

mike,
yes I am referring to myofascial winding.it's probably a combination of that,overly tight flexors and the rest of my imbalances that are kicking in.

Mike T Nelson said...

I've found that many people who are "wound" one direction have an issue with their visual and/or vestibular.
For example, one guy I am training now is quite wound and we found that he is really only wearing one contact at times since he is having issues with the other lens (which he is getting corrected now) He is also positive in the eyes up position for visual testing from Z Health I Phase.
On a more practical note, play around with some weighted exercises in the opposite of your wound position. Retest it and see if it helps.
Rock on
Mike N

Mark Reifkind said...

mike,
thanks but one thing to remember, I had a fully dislocated knee 32 years ago and that knee still only bends 90 degrees.On top of that add in many, many years of heavy squatting( and shifting it seems) and there is a ton of peripheral. I did tons of opposite side only work when I blew out L4-L5 in 2000 and first started trying to unwind myself.

Mark Reifkind said...

mike,
also, to compound things, I have very loose ligaments and joint capsules to start with, then really stretched them with gymnastics training. add in the missing internal structures,blown out joint capsule and a cns that spend many years doing very fast, intense and heavy loading I have a muscles sytem that can pull my bones out of aligment in a heartbeat.
that is why I need so much self massage work. when uneven tension pulls something out of position it locks up many muscles and they stay that way til I pry them loose. thats also why I have to be very careful how I train and what the loads are.
z does help but its a complicated situation.

Taikei Matsushita said...

"two, to counterbalance the speed work I do on max vo2 day"

Thanks Mark. I'll implement it in my snatch. My left snatch requires some work and was looking for some ideas.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...