Thursday, February 07, 2008

My Best Squat



1997 APF Masters Nationals

BW 190

Age 40

1st 545

2nd 573

3rd 601 X

This was the first time I had ever used a monolift and got tangled up in it trying to walk out my opener.Helicoptering with 545 is not fun. THe above photo is my second attempt 573 and this was ,without a doubt, the best squat I had ever done; both in tonnage and technique. It FLEW up and I smiled on the way up.It gave me the confidence to go for my all time goal of 600 pounds on my third attempt.It was good setup and a good drive but I got stopped 3/4 of the way up. I didnt know it would be the last time I would get to attempt 600; had I known that I would have made the damn lift, lol!

9 comments:

BJ Bliffert said...

2 white lights I'm assuming? I laughed out loud at that part on your DVD.

BTW, I really enjoyed it (finally got to watch it) and I'll be writing a testimonial for ya...great info.

BJ

Mark Reifkind said...

Yes 2 whites my friend,lol!
Glad you got to watch the dvd and that you liked it.Would love the testimonial,thanks.

fawn said...

Good stuff Rif! How did your squat become bigger than your deadlift?

Mark Reifkind said...

fawn

the gear helps the squat more than the deadlift :))
I loves my squat suit.

Franz Snideman said...

573 is awesome Rif! Frickin unreal!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franz,I really dont miss heavy benching or deadlifting but I miss power squats all the time!

Steve Reishus said...

Very nice squat! You must have competed in several different sanctioning bodies over the years. Which ones were you most heavily involved in?

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Steve,
I started out in the USPF, it was the only game in town at the time.
Then, wanting drug free competition I went to the ADFPA and USAPL and was there for a few years but a serious 'holier than thou' attitude and silly gear and technique distinctions ( no denim shirts no thumbless grip) lead me to the APF. That's where I finished my competitions.
I did love the APF's meets and attitude at the time,now it's out of control.Even though the meets were not tested I was still drug free. I just wanted the best environment to do my lifts and wear the geat that worked for me best.

D Silveri said...

Nice Job!! Thats big numbers for a lighter class!!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...