Saturday, May 17, 2008

Snatch Sprints.


The Way of the Kettlebell

Rannoch Donald has made this incredibly cool KB graphic available on these t shirts. Check them out here.

I decided a little power and speed rebuilding was in the cards so I went at the 24 kg snatch with pure Hardstyle technique: biomechanical breathing,over the top descent, hike pass through the bottom position and old school punch through with minimal false grip( I've always held the bell as low as possible on the heel of the hand). It was way tougher but my back felt great and the bell speed got better every set. Still takes me awhile to warm up enough to go fast as possible
Snatch
16kgx5/5x3
20 kg x5/5
24kg x 10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps
10,600 lbs
set one: 55 sec
two: 53 sec
three: 50 sec
four: 47 sec
five: 50 sec ( blister came up,slowed me down)
six: 50 sec( tape wasnt righ)
seven :48 sec
eight : 45 sec
nine: 42 sec
ten: 41 sec.

This technique is decidedly harder on the hands but the workload and force output is way higher.Same with the breathing. HR was up too. This day will still be my SSST training day but really need to rebuild the base stuff as well. Perhaps alternating weeks: one week ssst with efficiency techniques for longer sets and the next week like today, shorter sets for power and speed and counting total volume
so it would look like:

1) 24 kg HS
2) 20 kg SSST
3) 24 kg SSST
4) 20 kg HS
5) 24 kg HS
6) 20 kg SSST
7) 24 kg HS( this would also be week one)

have to think this out but it seems good. a 7 week cycle is about right.


2 hand Shield Cast
15 lbs x10/10
25 lbsx 8/8x3

1 CB arm cast
15 lbs x 10/10 x 2


datsit. nice and toasty today, got a great sweat going. I am so ready for summer.






9 comments:

Authentic Strength Training said...

I am ready for summer also. I waxed up my 24kg, which had been sitting in the sun, and the wax did nothing for me. Placed it in the shade and 24 hours later, 24 kilograms was no problem. Hit my 37/37 all hardstyle. RKC weekends always help me reinvent myself and find a new corner of any drill I can exploit and explore for months.

Slainte
W2

Mark Reifkind said...

agreed. the certs always put everything back into perspective for me as well.I like this quote
"a new corner of any dril that I can exploit and explore for months".
precisely; exploit and explore.Deep skill indeed.
see ya W2

Iron Tamer said...

Amen brothers.

The difference between "beginner" and "advanced" is the depth of the basics. Going to a cert always reminds me of how much deeper there is to go.

Mark Reifkind said...

so true david, so true. that's the journey towards mastery.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Rif I looked through your site- and their are A LOT of posts, but I did not see where you detailed what "Shield Casts", "Flag Presses" and "CB Arm Casts" are.

I would love your help in this.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Also question:
Your workout today-
16kgx5/5x3
20 kg x5/5
24kg x 10/10 x 10 sets

Is that 16kg 5L/5R x3 sets?
20kg 5L/5R x1 set?
24kg 10L/10R x10 sets?

I didn't follow the math.

Thanks. I want to try this one cause it looks fun so I wanna get it right. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

bob

here is the clubbell video for casts and mills

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hmwcAzJkza0

and yes you got the math right.the 16 and 20 kg work is warmup the 10 sets of 10/10 are the work sets.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Awesome! Thanks.

I didn't even think of looking at Youtube. :)

Thanks for your help and confirmations.

Have a great weekend. -Bob

Aaron Friday said...

200 reps with 24kg snatches is beyond what I remember you doing before. That's awesome! If you can do that, you can do 100 in 5 minutes with some prep. 5 minutes straight, corkscrew technique, and switching hands every 10 reps worked for me.

Bob ~ reps first, then sets. That's how Rif writes it out.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...