Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My inner masochist.

Having failed to get a decent workout in the last week I decided I should punish myself. And, after listening to the Dane of Pain tell us about Mark O Madsens EIGHTY SETS OF EIGHT REPS IN THE SVO2 MAX WITH THE 24 KG I realized I had to step up a bit.
Eight rep sets were out of the question as when I havent trained regularly the first thing to go is speed but 7 rep sets were very doable.Kenneth says the research says the 80 sets ( which equates to 20 minutes of actual snatching is optimal for the best possible cardio conditioning.
Man I just got used to the idea of 60 sets. Oh well.I set the mark as sixty sets of seven today and had no idea if I could do it.
I did and it wasnt that bad at all.

Snatch VO2
15:15
60 sets of 7 reps PR
420 reps
15,120 lbs

this went very well. I placed two bells to the left and the right of me so they would stay cooler and not chalk up as much. I didnt need ANY wasted motion today, I was sure.The toughest part was not sweating on the handles and gunking up the works. Bikram Kettlebells for sure today. very hot but I loves to sweat :))
Felt SO good to swing and snatch again. I hate traveling.But I love teaching at certs, go figure.

Rack Walks
16 kg x 1400 feet switching every 200
needed to do this.harderst part was just keeping the rack position. arms were cooked,lol.


Shield cast
15 lb CB x10/10 x 5 sets
have to remember to really rotate as I arm cast this back or it can make the elbow twinge a bit. Have to stop being lazy and bring my ten pounders home from Girya.

BW 154
BF 8.2 %
Water 60.6 %

15 comments:

Franklin said...

An excellent job on your 1st VO2 Max since returning from the Cert! And a PR to boot!

The Madsen VO2 Max numbers are staggering .. I guess its not too surprising for a WC silver medalist. What's next for him? A 32kg VO2 Max!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks franklin/ I did see your email and will get back to you asap.hope the knee is feeling better.

4 Ranges, RKC said...

Rif! Awesome work! Sixty sets didn't feel THAT BAD?? God bless you!

I love how everyone at Kenneth's presentation (yours truly included) kept double-checking "Uh, Kenneth, did you say 80 sets with a 24kg???"

John Wild Buckley said...

Thank you for your support and all the help you gave me over the weekend Rif. It was a pleasure to meet and learn from you. I'm glad you liked the blog, you've been linked to mine since the beginning :-) Your vo2 max workout is very impressive! I can't wait to unleash the Dane of Pain protocol on a room full of guys who think we're going to do low set bent press! It is going to be foam-roller funny!

Aaron Friday said...

Nice job! I knew 60 sets wouldn't be long in coming.

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Awesome inspiration Rif. This will definitely give me something to try. I love to punish my own body too. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

Rolando,

yes I was surprised it wasnt bad at all till 55 sets then it got a bit slower but I did the last two sets back to back.
Yeah, Madsen screwed the pooch for ALL of us,lol.
But thats why he isprobably gonna win a gold medal in bejing and I'm typing.

Mark Reifkind said...

John,
so great to meet you I really wish we had had more time to hang you. you one interesting dude. and tall,lol.
I love training mvo2 way; you can see improvement so quickly.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks bob, its some torture, that's for sure.

A Headless Place said...

Bikram kettlebells -""Push back, lean back, fall back, more back, way back - change!'

Ericc

Mark Reifkind said...

eric,

rotflamo. exactly.

dr. m.c. said...

This post reminds me, Rif, it was you showing the volume of work done in a part of a work out that got me going on doing these kind of load calculations to determine clearly work done in a set.

thank you.

mc

Jordan Vezina said...

80 sets with a 24 kg... yeah... so. I thought I was doing so well with my 20. :)

Mark Reifkind said...

mc,

thanks for the props,glad I could inspire something good. I love to see the science that goes along with the athletics.way cool. it was when we measures snatch speed differences with the 24 kg and the 32 kg that I realized that I really could create way more force per rep with the lighter bell and get way more benefits with way less risk of injury.
cool stuff

Mark Reifkind said...

jordan

just another long term goal. for me the point isnt so much about reaching these huge goals but shooting for them
" shoot for the starts you might end up on the roof, shoot for the roof and you might not get off the floor."
me

I choose the stars no matter how far off they seem at the moment.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...