Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Snatch Vo2 36:36 pr

Not a bad performance if I say so myself.Havent done the 36:36 in what seems like months and wasnt all that excited about it, as it really tends to work my grip hard.Too much grip fatigue for me always translates in to my shoulders but lately this has been better.The Bikrams is helping here too, with all the static stretches in external rotatation they require and the locked elbows everywhere you look.
SO I jumped right in with 16 reps per 36 second and was a few seconds ahead right from the start. THis was ok as I need to work up to 35+ total sets before I need to up the rep count.16 is plenty,especially towards the end.
Started out with my usual half and half technique, corkscrewing on the left and hardstyle on the right but that didnt last long as I found myself going over the top on the left as well to preserve bell speed.Plus the quickest path anywhere is a straight line and I wanted to keep the speed up.
I really focused on 'touching' the bell as little as possible on the way up and down and staying focused on providing bell momentum from the hips snap. So easy for me to forget that and just muscle it too much with the upper body.Hips baby, hips.
total number of snatches done was 480 which is an alltime total volume pr for me in the snatch.But there was a little stop which I will explain later.

Snatch Vo2 36:36
16 kg
16 reps per work bout.
26 sets non stop( pr by 4 sets)
416 reps
14,976

then after 1.5-2 minutes
4 more sets of 16 per 36 sec
64 reps
2304 lbs
total reps 480
total weight 17,280

So this is what happened. I had thought about doing 30 sets but at set 20 I realized it was a bit ambitious for the day and set my sights on 26 instead, still a pr of 4 sets.Thats what I did and then went in the house to tell Tracy and give her grief for not being outside and pushing me to 30 sets, whereupon she tells me "well, lets go. Lets go finish them" I said, " no, I've already stopped, it doesnt count"> Whereupon she said " too bad, lets go anyway."Which was just what I needed to hear.
So out we went and I cranked out four strong sets no worries.
And this is after a seriously hard Bikrams class yesterday.Hard in the sense that I couldnt balance on my left leg for crap and fell out of more poses than I ever had.Oh well, it was good workout in many other ways and I got my arms overhead, elbows straight, lined with ears for the first time and that was good. As well as prayer position with just the palms touching.All minor victories but to me the most important ones.
They are easiest to get and they accuumlate well. Like compound interest well.

Farmers walks with 2 16 kg kbs
300 feet x 2 sets
200 feet x 2 sets

1000 feet/.
havent done these for eons but just couldnt face more rack walks after all those snatches. Lately the rack walks kill my shoulders and arms way more than my legs so I decided to see whether I could tolerate these again. I used to do them but they ended up not being great for my back so I dropped them> I think they will be fine now but they are a grip smoker too!

Two Handed Arm cast
15 lb CB x15x2
25 lb CB x 15 x4 sets

these are always a good finisher.
Did tons of Z total with every client and have another Bikrams class tomorrow with my yoga partner. Will NOT fall out of poses tomorrow! Lol.

Datsit.

10 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

There's nothing easier on a wasted grip than a clubbell session, LOL!

Nice PR there. It counts, but only because I know that you're dying to do it continuously and will do so in the near future.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks aaron. good thing that the 26 sets was a pr as well so I could live with myself for pussing out.

Gabi said...

Congrats, Mark,

great stuff, regardless whether it counts or not. You'll have that 35+ sets done in no time!
Steady progress with yoga, too. You've come a long way with that accumulation even in that short time!

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks gabi, I know it's there, just has to be the right day, when gravity is lighter :))

Aaron Friday said...

Gravity sucks.

Kenneth Jay said...

that is awesome as always Rif. "too bad, lets go anyway" that is so funny! That is the attitude of a champion speaking ya know?

Mark Reifkind said...

Kenneth,

thanks for the props but it was Tracy who said " too bad lets go anyway'. She has the heart of a champion, that's for sure.
Me, I'm just stubborn :))( right Brett?)

Mark Reifkind said...

Aaron,

in the immortal words of Kirk Karwoski "F**k gravity, it's just a theory".

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Rif

do you do anything to celebrate/mark these PR's?

best
mc

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks mc,

I dont mark them anymore than putting them on my online training log( this). as far as celebrating them that's a good question.I feel like being able to do them is the celebration.I was truly convinced for most of the last 3 years that my hard training days, and personal records were a thing of the past. The fact that I can push myself as I do lately is freakin miracle which I am thankful for every single day.
that I can almost walk normally again, not to mention being able to walk normal distances for a real life is another miracle.
Beinga ble to do yoga is another.So I feel just being able to train hard again, and experience the joy of being in my body again the way I spent most of my life is a celebration in itself.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...