Sunday, April 04, 2010

Max Vo2 based training, more high pulls and snatches.

Playing around with pushups again is great fun.
It's nice to see how quickly hard won conditioning returns after a layoff.It's always much more difficult to build something in the first place; be it strength, endurance, flexibility, etc. than to reclaim it.

I wasn't sure this time but yesterdays workout showed me that the last three years worth of consistent max vo2 training was not in vain. AS usual I never know how strong I am until I get warmed and going and actually pick up the weight. I have had so many workouts where the warmup weights felt like max weights and vice versa and it's always a surprise.

When I picked up the 16 kg and it felt like it should, like a freakin' 16 kg bell I was very happy. When I started doing my first block of high pulls and my HR barely moved I was even more happy. I knew, right from the start, that I would be able to hang with Tracy and get my 60 sets of Max in today.

I didn't know how strong they would be but I knew it would surpass last weeks 52( or 4, I forget) sets no problem.

Max Vo2 high pulls/snatches
16 kg
15:15
60 total sets
alternating blocks of high pulls in sets of 8 each arm( up from 7's last week) and snatches in sets of 7.
30 sets of 8= 240 high pulls 8640 lbs
30 sets of 7 = 210 snatches 7560 lbs

These went so well. I bumped up the high pulls from 7's to 8's and still had a second or two left on the 15 second clock. Same with the snatches; I was snatching at an 8 reps per 15 sec pace. Nice. About time, too.

Ending Heartrate was 180 which good, but not the crazy 190+ it usually is with just snatches. I do love the high pulls though as it is a great assistance move for my pressing base.

Weighted Pushups
25 lbsx6
35 lb x6
45 lbs x5
60 lbs x 6!!!

Nice! At the end I had three clubbells on my back and the reps were very very strong. I havent done any serious weight pressing in so long and it came right back to me. Felt like a bench press,lol.
Even nicer is the fact that it was not too long ago at all that I didn't know if my shoulders could take even bodyweight pushups again. Ever. I will do pushups with Tracy sitting on my back in not too long,lol. Feels great to be able to train some strength work again.

Shield casts.
15 lbs x 8/8
x 9/9
x10/10 x 2

these went well too. I really like them for mobilizing the shoulders and really getting all the hard to reach areas between the shoulder blades.

No comments:

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...