Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Swings and high pulls

Lats and the Kettlebell, the Secrets this Sunday: check it out here . The IronTamer and The Queen of the Kettlebell Swing will be there.



I used to love training first thing in the morning. No distractions. Giving your best energy to the most important part of the day. Wake up, caffeinate, train, eat and recover.It worked great. I thought I missed it til I realized I got old at some point and it really, really takes me a long time to warmup.

I am trying to do my swing training on Tuesdays at 8:30 am now as I have an open slot and want to use the time wisely. It's just so freakin early; even though I wake up at 4 and am on the road at 5:15.
Even though I get to stretch out really well from 6-7 am while Tracy teaches her class. Wow. I slept great, ate well and felt really good this morning but still couldn't really get going at ALL til the end,lol.

Swings

16kg x5/5/5 transfers x 3 sets
20 kg x5/5/5 transfers x 3 sets

24 kg x 5/5/5/5 x 8 sets
160 reps8480

wow I am out of shape. my best 24 kg swing day was 600 reps. I'm a bit off. Plus again I have to hold back as I can't be tweaked for my seminar on Sunday.

High Pulls
24 kg x 5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10
90 reps. ack.

wow, this was better but still too tough. I've done 200 reps in 10 minutes with this exercise laddering up from 10/10-20/20. Have a ways to go here too. But the good news; there is time :)) this is a very strong and good exercise for me.

Clubbell Swipes

two hands, one arms with 10 lbs.

Not really feeling it today so I let them go. Re arranged Girya for my functional training.Presses with my honey bunch on Thursday.

She, on the other hand KILLED her training today, as usual, doing workloads worthy of an Olympian. I would love to so easily, and off handedly, do the training loads she does without a care. Crazy stuff. Check out her blog


datsit, 45 minutes.

6 comments:

Roland Denzel said...

Mark, I have trouble warming up in the morning, too. I've taken a few classes with Steve Cotter, and he had us warmup FOREVER! It seemed dumb at the time, since it took so long, jumping, lunging, and flopping around, but I had the best workout ever, with TONS of energy. I thought I'd be wiped, but after a 5 minute rest (funny, huh?) I hit the workout hard and things went great. Even at 8am... Something to consider.

It was a lot of carioca, skipping, walking lunges, tons of dynamic upper body mobility, plus hips, hips, hips. Good stuff if you can find it.

Diana said...

I used to love doing high pulls, then they kind of went out of the picture because I thought they weren't really being taught anymore. Anyways....when I do a high pull, it tweaks the crap out of my left collar bone/SC joint which broke as a kid. Not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong, but after about 5 or 6 of 'em, I'm done. On that side only. The right is fine. Any ideas? Looking forward to getting this looked at in June too!
Thanks in advance!

Mark Reifkind said...

Roland

I am working on really letting myself warmup as much as I need before I 'start' my workout.I have to stop pushing myself to jump up in weight too early.
thanks for the comment and for stopping by.

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

the real key to the high pull is linking the arm to the body as you hip snap; then, letting the force transfer to the arm and THEN guiding the bell back with the 'upper back' not the arm as the bell floats. DON'T pull with the arm.

Diana said...

Mark,
In between me posting my question and reading your answer I watched myself with the high pull and I was totally pulling with my arm. With having that collar bone broken in the past I was just using my natural instinct to "protect" that area, yet by using crap body mechanics I ended up hurting it!
Nice to know that I can fix my problems, therefore getting more confident in fixing other's!
Appreciate the answer-especially since it was the same as what I found out!
Bonus....moral booster!

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

youhave to use even better swing mechanics with the high pull than even the swing as it's so easy to use the arm flexors to do the work. way to go figuring it out!

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...