Thursday, May 06, 2010

1974 North Miami Beach Gymnastics Team.

I have a lot of old gymnastics photos but not this one. This is from our High School year book, the year before I blew out my knee. This is the only gymnastics photo I have prior to the injury; how odd is that? Seeing this really brought back tons of memories about such a pivotal and important time in my life.

But what really hit hard was this Facebook message I got from a guy who witnessed the accident and understood exactly what it meant, on many levels. And only for myself but for his students and protege's.
Hi Mark. Jaime here. I saw you blow your knee out practicing at NMB. I can still hear that scream. Are you that person? We have a Gymiami Alumni group here on facebook and have been looking up lots of people. You were a promising and talented gymnast back in those days. Let me know if I have the right guy. You may have known my sister Nina who went to NMB. Thanks. Jaime
Stretchsport Guy April 30 at 11:47pm
PS...I reviewed your google search results and concluded that I have the right person. I remember you were working on your double fulls and you stiff legged your landing as you twisted that double full right into the floor. It was a heartbreaking scene. I knew what it meant. I felt the way Pete's face looked in horror at what happened. We didn't have pits back then and everything had to be hand spotted. After that day I protected the gymnasts at Gymiami like they were eggs that could crack. Part of the reason I became known as the best spotter in the country in the mid 70's was because of what I witnessed happen to you. It put me on even higher alert than I already was. I am so sorry about what happened to you. I was looking forward to seeing you rival Kurt Thomas and make the Olympic Team side by side. I had no doubt that you would have done that. Good grief that was a major bummer! Jaime PSS...I interviewed Julio Anta and those videos are on youtube under my Stretchsportguy handle.


I never considered how what happened to me impacted those that saw it. I didn't even realize that anybody, other than my teamates, saw it happen or that it changed their lives.
Jaime has a Facebook Gymiami Alumni page that has brought me back into contact with a lot of those teammates and coaches from that time, and it's very, very cool.

It was such a wonderful time in my life, even and despite the injury. It set the stage for everything that was to come in my life; to what I have become in my life. Everything that I am now, and how I live now, started right then and there and has continued, pretty much in very similar mode, to now.

Oh yeah I worked out today too.

Clean and Press( short cycle)
16kg x5/5
20 kgx3/3
24kgx1/1

28kg x1/1x 6 sets

these were very easy. I love low rep sets ,lol.the groove was very solid and fast.

Snatch
20 kg x5/5
24kg x5/5x 5 sets
50 reps ( on my way back to 200!)

most excellent. the most volume with the 24 since Dec.The move felt very strong even with the new power good morning groove. I figured out the details of the bottom position(much different,especially timing wise) than my old stiff legged style.

BTW I could actually feel my legs and back a bit, in a good way, from the getups and deadlifts,albeit so light, from yesterday. Crazy.

TGU roll to press to arm support
12 kg x 3/3 x 4 sets

crazy how I am playing with this move now.two days in a row, who'd a thunk it. Really used Dave Whitley brilliant hip drive drill we got from the seminar and it really helps.

Shield casts
10 lb Clubbell x 10/10/10/10 x 4 sets

these felt good. have to keep the arc high , though to not irritate left tricep and elbow. glad to be able to do them again though.

Datsit

No comments:

225 x SO CLOSE, 220 x 1 ( 34th) 205 x 1 x 5, laterals rear delts wt pushups

 This was GREAT! So close on the two plate and wanted to take it again. But I took 220 instead and came  up with one of my all time bests wi...