Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Practice

Spotting Logan's one arm handstand at the workshop
Still feeling the effects of the all day event on sunday so I stretched instead of trained yesterday and went for some loading today. I've been thinking of adding in some tgu's and windmills for some time but know that I can't do them symmetrically.that is working each side.
Shouldn't

And I was worried about just doing them on my left side but Ive been thinking lately it might be just the asymmetrical loading I need. When I hurt my back in 2000 one of the key things I did to rehab myself was training asymmetrically, mainly using swiss balls and bodyweight exercises.

My fascination and love of the one arm kb swing was born here as I couldn't do two hand swings without my back locking up, but one arms worked great.

I've been trying to stay away from high tension exercises though now for years, feeling that I already have too much muscle tension and the ballistic movements would give me enough tension to keep my strength up.
But I've been feeling different of late and the ability to press again has only strengthened my interest in, well, strength.

Rediscovering my power good morning swing groove, really studying Tracy's swing technique ( yeah, tough job, I know,lol) and all this fervor about the getup ( tracy included) got me thinking.

So today to start my workout I started playing around with some getups ( full movement on left side, getup to arm support on right side) windmills, kb deadlifts as well as my swings. I even through in some handstands with some students of mine I am training in the handstand.

If I'm tweaked tomorrow though, I'll have no way of knowing which of the multitude of new moves I did today was responsible,lol. Oh well, it felt good at the time.

But the focus was practicing these moves and I used light weights ( 8 and 12 kg) for them as I didnt want to be completely crazy. everything felt good and my mind set was on practicing the forms and seeing what I needed on each move, and where I felt restriction.

kb windmill/ left side tgu/ right side getup to arm support:
I was very suprised to see my right shoulder overhead position was much better than I expected it to be.there might be gold in these hills. and the left side getup really works the left to right rolling pattern I need, strength in my left leg and glute and activation of the left obliques and psoas.
I really don't need any more left shoulder work but I guess it's going to come along for the ride.
the left side only windmills felt good for the left glute and medius.

4 rounds

one arm swings
16 kg x10/10x3 sets
16 kg x10/10 /10 two hand swingsx2
16 kg x10/10/10 2 hand/10 transfers
16 kg roundabout 4 rounds x 3 sets
20 kg x10/10
24kgx10/10 x 3 sets


this was very interesting and I was playing with the combinations as if I were doing tracy's class. it was nice to even play with two hand swings again and I really emphasized my back arch and good morning position.
I am finally learning that when I change exercise techniques I just can't go balls to the wall with weight or volume


two hand kb deadlifts
24 kg x10
28kgx8
32 kg x8
36 kgx6
40kgx6
48 kgx6

wow these worked my legs harder than expected. perfect. so nice to have anything that resembles real weight in my hand again. getting back to my power squat/goodmorning groove seems to be working all right.

tomorrow, presses and snatches!

datsit.


7 comments:

Tracy Reifkind said...

you're the best!

Mark Reifkind said...

only because of you.

Aaron Friday said...

That is a perfect taiji "bow" stance. Your torso is a bit askew, but you're handling an upside-down 7-foot creature so it's totally within reason.

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks aaron,he is a bit "lanky" eh?

Faizal S. Enu said...

Great info all around. Your "pressing the contact" point has really helped my pressing.

I am working on a beast press, as got a 40kg + 24kg double press today.

Mark Reifkind said...

Great Faizul

glad I could help. take a picture please, and send it to me when you press the Beast, as I have no doubt you will.

Remember man, its' ONLY 106 lbs,lol.That ain't that heavy.

Mark Reifkind said...

Thanks Aaron,

I take that as a high compliment coming from you. Can't wait to see you guys in July.thanks for putting us up again :))

195 x 1 x 9 205 x 1 225 x CLOSE! 205 x 1 20kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 30

 What a great day! Moved my grip and my stance back in. Concentrated on pushing UP on the bar un takeoff and then decided, during warmups, t...