Wednesday, May 12, 2010

work capacity

Mine sucks right now and it's time to do something about it. I can remember, very clearly, when I was training the swing for volume as well as intensity and I got up to a PR of 630 24 kg swings in January of 2008 and had done 400 32 kg swings a few months before.

These were not time sets but I went into the next set when I 'felt ready' which, suprisingly, was sooner the more sets I did. It always takes me forever to get warmed up. No matter, I need to get to doing those kinds of workloads and I started today.

I tried to start monday and did some tgu's two handed dls before I started swinging and my back didnt like it. I listened, for a change, put the bell down and went home. I just have to accept that the two hand swing, and anything that really overloads my abs is not good for my back. I need to be grateful that I CAN swing one arm and that not only does my back like it, it makes it better.
Hopefully I won't have to learn this lesson again.

I also think I am going to try to swing at 6 am during Tracy's class. As hard as it is for me to warmup it's harder it seems to do volume work after work so that's the next experiment. I only am going to do one arm swings and I have 45 minutes to get the job done and get dressed for work. I just have to wake up a bit earlier.

So today I wanted to make up for mondays no go with some 24 kg work

one arm swings

12 kgx10/10
16kgx10/10
20 kgx10/10

24 kg x10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps

as usual, the rest periods got shorter as I progressed going from one minute down to 30 seconds at the end. I just can't force this but it always happens.

A long way from 630 but that's ok. It's the process and the goal and now I am back on track.
Tomorrow heavy presses and some 24 kg snatches.


datsit.

1 comment:

Brett Jones said...

Rif,
I am in the process trying to rebuild my work capacity as well - nothing like a little surgery and recovery to knock the wind out of the sails.
Just keep swinging.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...