Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Back to work

After the great high of hitting my snatch challenge goal on Saturday, it was back to work on my swings at 6 am Tuesday. I can't believe how missing just one moderately heavy workout made this one feel so heavy but it did.

It didn't help that DOMS was setting in from Saturday at the same time, making me pretty stiff when I hit Girya at 5:45 am. Had no idea of how many reps I was going to do but I knew I wanted to get right to it so I skipped a warmup weight with the 20 kg and made the jump from the 16 to the 24 kg.

Doesn't sound like much,( or look like much written down) but it woke me up pretty fast Tuesday AM. I need a lot of warmup but since I'm only counting work sets with the 24 kg I didn't want to waste too much energy with the 16 or the 20 kg.Turned out ok, although I could really feel last weeks missing work.

It takes so much to get strong and it can disappear so fast! At least for me in lower body movements. My upper body has a lot more resiliance from years and years of serious upper body work. I really skipped my developmental years in my lower body( gymnast run very little) although what I did do was all sprinting.

Just wasn't enough volume to develop those little legs of mine. It wasn't until I blew out my shoulder my junior year and all I could do was run that I developed an athletic sense of my legs. And it wasn't until I started training on the bike for racing that I REALLY started to understand the strength, power and endurance the legs are capable of.

There's nothing like climbing hills for miles and miles on a race bike to really get the thighs in serious shape, and, ironically, it set the stage for them getting REALLY strong as well. Why not? Strength is tension and serious bike training delivers TONS of tension.

One arm swings
16 kg x10/10 x 3

24 kg x 5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8
x9/9
x10/10 = 90 reps
then
10/10x 5 sets= 100 reps
then

transfers
10 rep sets of 6 sets= 60 reps

total reps= 250

not bad.
conservative but not too far from the number I would have done if I hadn't lost a week. 300 next week.

Rack walks
16 kg x 8 minutes continuous. switching hands eveery 30-45 seconds.

still love these

stretching as usual
hamstring strap
brettzell
down dog
up dog
stick stretches behind back and overhead
hip opening stretch

Good stuff. Presses tomorrow!

Datsit

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...