Thursday, June 17, 2010

Press and snatches. Good to be back.

I pressed last week but only the 20 kg and while it was the smart thing to do, given how my back was just a few days before it wasn't much work and I was a bit worried how heavy things would feel today.

Especially since swinging the 24 kg Tues am was so much fun,:))
Of course swinging is about my lower body and pressing is about where my base strength is, my upper body, and 12 noon is not 6 am. So I had more confidence but you never know.

I made sure to eat enough this am to have a decent blood sugar level by the time training came around. Almonds, tahini, Metrix protein powder, yoghurt and some more almonds worked well.

I warmed up with cleans and they felt light and solid right from the start, a good sign. I like practicing the cleans first as they really lock me into my lats and legs and get my rooting started.Your press is only as good as your clean.

I totally believe this.

And after helping so many try to press 1/4 or 1/2 their bodyweight in preparation for their Level 2 Cert I realize just how few can get their lats into their press. This means SO much less weight lifted as well as so much more stress on delicate shoulder joints.

KB Cleans

16kg x5
20 kg x4
24 kg x3
28 kg x3
32 kg x3/3
32 kg x4/4

I also try to handle one weight heavier than what I plan on pressing that day and I got some good reps with the 32 kg so I knew my press would be solid today. Even the 32 kg felt light in my hands as soon as I grabbed it. Always a good sign.

KB Press
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x4/4
24 kg x2/2
28 kg x 1/1
x2/2
x3/3
x1/1
x2/2
x3/3

these felt so easy. I can't remember when I tripled the 28 kg much less so strongly. Very happy. Heres some video:






Snatch Practice

16 kg x3/3
20 kg x3/3
24 kg x3/3
x4/4
x 5/5
x5/5
These felt ok but I was a bit worried about how I will feel tomorrow so I went very very gingerly into the sets. I could have done more but was just happy to be throwing the 24 kg around again.I could feel my hamstrings and lower back getting a bit tired so I stopped. My work capacity ahs a ways to go but hey, I'm happy:))

I was also THRILLED when Tracy told me how she used my press technique as her inspiration during her press workout earlier that morning. When she pressed, she said, she visualized my press and tried to mimic my technique! I can't tell you how proud I am of that.

Mimicry was how I learned all my gymnastics skills, and works great for many people. " I can't do it, but I can copy it",lol. But that's another blog post



CB Shield casts
10 lb CB x 100 reps continuous, switching hands every 10 reps.

easy. Definitely time to move up to the 15's
datsit.

6 comments:

John Beamon said...

I love the picture at the top, all the bells that finally had enough and collapsed over on the floor. Relentless, Rif.

Mark Reifkind said...

john

that was a great symmetry, especially since it was purely accidental.Although Tracy had the eye to spot it and shoot it.

I did each set and threw the bells down and that's how they landed. cool.I love it too.
thanks for the comment.

dbt1959 said...

That 3+3 28kg MP was a very instructive 49 seconds of video. From the angle it was shot you can really see the coordination of breath with lat engagement down and then to the press. Thanks for that, whets the appetite for the DVD . . .

Mark Reifkind said...

Thanks Dave,

glad it helped. the fact that you can see the coordination of the breath and the lat engagement says a lot about your eye and your understanding of strength.

The DVD should be out in 4 weeks or so and Jordan and I are planning a DVD based soley on the technique and training of the strict KB press.

dr. m.c. said...

how do you do it? you just keep looking stronger all the time.

Mark Reifkind said...

Thanks MC,

I'm just too dumb to quit :))

Actually.I expect to get bigger and stronger all the time and am quite amazed and bemused when I get hurt or I don't make progress. I expect my will to overcome all,lol. Even my age,mileage and bent frame.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...