Thursday, July 01, 2010

Back off Volume pressing and some handstands.

can't wait to teach handstands again at the HardStyle Ventura workshop this November.Last time Pavel asked me to teach it on the spot. This time I will be fully prepared.Some Handstands in 2008




Wasn't quite sure what I was going to do this workout for my back off week training. I thought about stacked presses or doing the 40 kg for a couple max rep sets per arm but I decided on the tried and true 5 sets of 5 reps per arm with the 24 kg bell.

Not too heavy, not too light and a weight that will allow some decent volume although I distinctly remember the last time I decided to do 5x5/5 I bailed because it seemed like there were just too many presses to do!

Today it was easy and I was taking almost no rest between sets( less than a minute). My upper body can work harder and recover much faster than my legs and hips; I just have SO MUCH training time on them over the years.
And now, with the last 5-6 weeks of consistent press training, and three days a week as well in the tank, I feel like I did before my rotator problems started in '04 and I could floor press 315 close grip every workout and could work up to 359 for a tough single no problem.
Strong.

But still cautious :))

Warmup Swings
16 kg x 5/5/5/5 x2
20 kg x5/5
24 kg x5/5x4 sets

wanted to make sure my left tricep was happy before I started cleans. All good.


Clean and Press
16 kg x5/5
20 kg x5/5
24 kg x5/5 x 5

As noted above, very strong and confident. Really focused in on making every part of the press perfect. Upper and lower together. The arc was solid.So nice to have a groove I can count on again. This workload really puts some mass on the delts pecs and triceps as well as the upper back. Love it.

Snatches
20 kg x5/5 x 5

wanted to go easy here too, again to make sure the tricep was happy with the groove and it was.

Handstands

5 sets of 10 secs/ against wall at start , then free.

Did some of these the other day with some clients who I am training JUST to do handstands. Always great fun with these guys and they are progressing very well. They will be the students in my "How to train for and do Handstands" DVD that I want to shoot after the "Training the KB Press" DVD, lol.

Really, my Lats DVD isn't even out and I outlined the Press idea video yesterday. Jordan and I are going to work on it together and I am getting pumped up about the idea. Just need to stay healthy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What's app number pr aap Sy batt karny hai

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...