Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Level 2 on vacation, back to training.



Tracy, killing her pistol

What an insanely great weekend I( we) had. I got to go to my first cert ever with no real responsibilities other than being there for Tracy as she went through her KB strength quest.
Normally I am either teaching or taking but this weekend I was free to roam around, take videos or pics, offer her some salient tidbit to make her training better, talk to friends and colleagues and train.

How cool.Plus my body cooperated and I walk, stood and moved all weekend with no knee lockup. Very cool.

First off, Tracy did great and rose to the occasion, as I knew she would. She missed her pullup but went higher towards the bar than ever before, leaving no doubt in my mind that she will get it very soon And that my training methods for going from no movement to full pullup are solid and productive.

She killed her pistol, twice, which was a major accomplishment considering where that movement started a few months ago, as well.

The fact that the Chief Instructor decided to take us back to our HardCore RKC roots and make the candidates use REALLY challenging bells all weekend( how's double 16 kgs for the ladies?) made things that much tougher. Especially when no one saw it coming. It was not a requirement at the Level 2 in February. People, you have been warned: The RKC is School of STRENGTH.

Tracy could have opted, as many did, for lighter weights but she didn't. Even in the 85+ degrees and the same number humidity. It did shake her a bit though, no doubt. I certainly would not want to spend the weekend with double 24's. That shit's no joke.

I got to play around in my training, greasing the groove with my snatches and getting about 50 reps in with the 24 kg on Friday as well as a bunch of handstands and pushups and bottoms up cleans with moderate weights for practice( 20 kg)

Just keeping active. Lots of stretching as well.

Made a serious point of staying hydrated and it worked very well.There is a definite connection for me between hydration and body and knee/back pain. No doubt and I won't forget or neglect this any time soon. It's just too serious anymore.

Recovered well on Monday and it was 6 am training again already today. I needed it but decided to snatch instead of swing and do some presses as well as Girya has new mats coming Thursday and who knows what will happen to my training.

Snatches

16 kg x 8/8 x3
20 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x 8/8
x9/9
x10/10

These went very well. I need to do some slower paced snatch work focusing on the lockout hold to really stabilize the shoulders via the rotator cuff. Nothing better than static snatches holds for that.
I am also revisiting training for my snatch test and Rite of Passage again, although with the 20 kg Masters( as in Old Guys) bell. I didn't want to go there but I guess have to do it with the 20 first before I do it with the mens weight( 24 kg).

I did a hard 80 reps on 5 minutes a few years ago when we changed the style of snatch testing and haven't gone back to try 100 in five since. I just freakin HATE long ass sets. Hate em.

Got the rough cut for my DVD yesterday and am SUPER excited that it looks GREAT. Tracy's too. Can't wait to get these out on the market and start on my press DVD with Jordan next. I want to press the 40 kg in that DVD and that is #1` training priority right after I get back from Hungary.

Bottoms up clean and press( long cycle)
16 kg x3/3 x 3
20 kg x1/1
x1/1/1/1
x 1/1/1/1/1/1

these went great and were surprisingly tough for this light of weight. good assistance exercise for my classic press though. Same but different; specialized variety. Where have I heard that before?

Rack Walks
16 kg for 5 minutes continuous switching hands every 100 feet. This was much harder after snatches and b/u presses than swings.Always amazed at how much this makes my heartrate go up.

I am thinking of this:

tuesday am
20 kg snatch for volume
press assistance exercise
rack walk

thursday
heavy presses/cycled
24 kg snatch, low reps medium volume
Text Color
Saturday
Max Vo2
Two handed or two kb swings

I am hoping to be able in incorporate this most basic of kb movements into my training. We'll see but none of this really starts until after the Hungary RKC. I have to go to that adventure healthy and fit. Undertrained,if anything.

Datsit. New mats on Thursday, now that's exciting.
Text Color











4 comments:

Tracy Reifkind said...

sweetie,

you're my biggest fan, and I yours.

Mark Reifkind said...

true words.

Unknown said...

Dear Mark,

Hello.

My name is Naureen Kazi and I work for a nationally-known, word-of-mouth marketing agency called Zócalo Group.

Right now, our group is partnering with Salonpas on a program to support their Salonpas Pain Relief Patch and Salonpas Arthritis Pain Patch. I’m reaching out to you because we are familiar with your reputation as a personal trainer, and we're seeking industry leaders' points-of-view on pain relief patches. I'm curious to hear your perspective and to see if there are any opportunities to work with you to educate your personal and professional network.

Could I grab five minutes of your time and schedule a quick call to ask a few questions on the topic? I'd love to have your insights. You can e-mail me at nkazi@zocalogroup.com

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Naureen

location espagne said...

Health is precious and its good you are conscious about it...location villa espagne

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...