Saturday, January 01, 2011

Straight tens.

There are many ways to increase the intensity of a workload. Doing one set of 500 reps is definitely not the same as doing 10 sets of 50 or any other permutation. I've been trying to build up my swing volume lately and as I've written I'm using ladders to manage fatigue and build volume up slowly.

Doing 300 one arm swing reps in ladders of 5-10 is much easier for me than doing straight sets of 10. The ladder lets me "sneak up" on the higher reps when my endurance isn't up to the task by itself. For instance, on Dec 16 I did 320 reps of one arm swings with the 24 kg but it was in a ladder of 5-10. three rounds, the 5x 5/5 at the end.

Today I wanted to test my straight ten rep sets and see how far I could go. It was easier than I expected a good sign that the adaptations I am training for are occurring.My best effort in one session is 600 reps, done with 20 sets of 15/15 and I am no where close but it's headed in the right direction.

My swing groove has proved reliable and non injurious which is very nice.The load feels very evenly spread across all the appropriate muscles. Plus I feel like I am getting more leg into the movement as well as hip/back and that helps shock absorb in the bottom position as well.

I warmed up fast which is always a good sign for the workout. I found the groove quickly and bell speed was good from the start.

here's the workout

One arm swings
16 kgx5/5/5/5 x2
20 kg x5/5

24 kg x10/10 x 13 sets
x20/20
300 reps
15,900 lbs

Man, the tonnage adds up fast in the swing! I definitely could have gone on( and if I would have checked and new my recent pr was 320 I would have done at least 350 but that's fine. I am very happy that I did my last set with 40 reps instead of 20 ( mostly because I was bored and wanted to get it over with,lol) and still kept bell speed the same as it had been all workout.Ihaven't done straight sets of ten in awhile because I haven't been able to.

Today was no problem and my wind and leg and back endurance was spot on.last week's 28 kg swing and then 32's the week before are making me stronger.Endurance is born in the belly of strength and as I get stronger more reps with these lighter weights just aren't as hard.

I can also really feel the positive effects of the consistency of my training and progressions. There's nothing that beats the regularity of never missing sessions and being able to wave load the work as necessary to make optimal progress, instead of how life forces you to because you just don't have the time.

I love a boring, simple training life but I think that 2011 will not be that,lol. That's ok too, I'll just have to learn how to train on the road.

Here's a clip of my August 2008 workout of 400 reps in sets of 10/10

very happy with the comparison from over 2 years ago, but I can also see the difference in my current groove and my old one. I am getting about 20 degrees more hip flexion and almost no knee flexion compared to now. The 2008 technique was strong but I think my current groove is safer and has more potential for power over the long haul. Plus it works my legs much more and Lord knows I need more leg work I can tolerate.

Barbarian CB press
15 lbs x5/5
20 lbs x 5/5
x 6/6
x7/7
x8/8

these were a little tough on my left bicep tendon when I had the left hand on top. the tendon slips out a bit as the pec pulls too hard on my crappy capsule and it's not a good thing. Back to arm casts!

very strong today,great way to start the New Year!

datsit:))

2 comments:

jockeRKC said...

Thats the way to kick start the new year =)
We are on track and going to the nice place called Swing heaven =)

You are a inspiration Mr Rif

L. Wu said...

So interesting the differences 2008 vs 2010!

I wonder what my swing form would look like in comparison (don't have as many reps but I know I've changed since then)

~Leslie: UltiTraining.com, Read Dominate Repeat

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...