Friday, February 18, 2011

24 kg snatch ladders

Had a client cancellation so I got to get my training in at 9 am instead of the usual 2 pm. Much easier for me and it showed in the workout. Did my full stretchout from 6-7 am which really helps set me up for the later workout. This has shown to make a big difference to me when I can get it in.

Training(especially big ROM/dynamic exercises like the snatch) without getting my "alignment" right never seems to go well for me. I like to address any asymmetries and imbalances I have accumulated from the past day/night before I load the frame again.

Having what Paul Chek would refer to as a 'bent frame' makes this a necessity; plus it feels good:))

Since last week was speed snatch work today was 24 kg training and it felt surprisingly light, always a good sign, as is a speedy and easy warmup. The fact that I could ladder up was also a good sign.

9 am

one arm swings
16 kg x5/5/5/5 x 3

snatches

16 kg x5/5
20 kg x5/5 x2

24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8 x 2 rounds
20 kg x10/10

20kg snatches= 40
24 kg snatches= 104
total work reps 144

not bad at all. here's a video of my 8 rep set on the first round through



My key focus is to move the bell as fast as I can with my best form, whether it's the 16 kg for 15: 15 speed work or my 'heavy' bell for sets and reps. I always want to be as powerful as possible on each rep and that means monitoring bell speed. I have wondered why I detest doing long slow sets so much and this is the reason, they have to move much more slowly ( less power) in order to go the distance. Running or jogging instead of sprinting.

I'd rather sprint anyday.

I like the development of power, strength and hypertrophy this gives me and if one does enough sets plenty of strength endurance as well.

datsit :))

5 comments:

jockeRKC said...

I am going to steal this one to Mr Rif =)
I am like you i am not a marathon runner more a slow sprinter ;)

Roland Denzel said...

Nice work, Mark.

Mark Reifkind said...

joakim

steal away man, I consider it a compliment.

@roland, thanks :))

Jason said...

I have read it and understood it and I have practiced it, but I have never seen it so well defined in movement.
The packing of the shoulder and firing of the lats BEFORE the bell moved. (+ - 20secs)
As the saying goes poetry in motion.

Jason
England

Mark Reifkind said...

jason

thanks man, it was a good angle to see that. I do that on anything I hike pass: swings, cleans snatches. very important to protect the shoulder.

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...