Tuesday, February 15, 2011

28 kg Short cycle press , same but different.



I had delusions of grandeur last night and thought I would attempt 5/5x 5 in the 28 kg short cycle KB press in todays workout. I looked back over my last SC workout and I did this:

4/4x4
3/3 x3

giving me 50 total reps and a huge personal best.It was easy enough( last time) that I thought doing another rep per set and one more total set would not be that tough and I was close but not exactly on the money. I thought I would do the same total reps but in another ( more intense) fashion and get a true same but different workout.

My 6 am stretchout went well and I felt really good all morning( a sure sign things might not work out,lol).

6-7 am stretchout

the usual suspects with overhead stick drill emphasis

8:30 am Short cycle clean and press

warmup
one arm swings 16 kg x5/5/5/5 x3

Long cycle clean and press
16 kg x5/5
x 3/3
20 kg x5/5
24 kg x 2/2 long cycle and 1 rep short cycle

work sets
28 kg x 5/5
x 5/5
x 3/3
24 kg x 3/3
28 kg x5/5x2
x3/3
x3/3

The first set went well. Very well. The second set went all right but I noticed a strange grinding in my left shoulder on the 4th rep that had me a bit concerned.My groove felt a bit off and I wasn't sure if I was racking the weight in the right place but took note of it.

I have been loving long cycle so much lately and one of the reasons is that the clean before each press really sets up the groove and helps my get right into my lats

One the third set the grinding noise was the same or worse so I just did 3 reps and set it down. Way too close to next weeks dvd project to risk anything, so I went back to the 24 , video'd it to notice flaws and realized I was letting my elbow get away from being directly under the weight and wasn't pulling the lat tight enough.

Fourth set I was only planning on three but no grinding so I did five. Four sets of five in the short cycle is a PR anyway ,lol. I wanted to finish up with my total of 50 so I did 2 more sets of 3 with no problems at all.

Lesson learned: don't be in such a hurry to do any particular set workout that you let yourself get rushed and forget about the basics.

Lots of stick shrugs in between sets to assure scapular mobility

Clubbell shield casts
one arm
10 lbs x8/8 x2
15 lbs x5/5
x8/8
two handed
20 lbs x 10/10
25 lbs x 10/10
35 lbs x 5/5 x 2 sets

was planning on going up to the 20's on the one arms for the first time but thought better of it understanding my shoulder might not be as good as I think tomorrow and no reason to add insult to injury.

Getting to play with the cruiser bell again made up for it :))

Bodyblade laterals

big blade x 10 reps per side, 5 sets back to back


datsit:)) 24 kg snatches and speed swings on Thursday

No comments:

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...