Saturday, May 14, 2011

Snatch and swing


I've been known to say that my definition of getting old is when one gets hurt sleeping. I am old,although this has been known for some time, and today I woke up tweaked from sleeping wrong.

I mean, REALLY? Is this what it comes down to,lol? I woke up with a good old fashioned crick in my neck from some bad angle sleeping and thought I would mobilize it out with some brettzells and stick shrugs. Man I worked on it for almost an hour this morning before my kb training and it didn't really want to budge so I decided to just 'snatch it out'.

This worked, to no surprise. But it gave me a chance to play around with some interesting shoulder and upper back mobility drills from Starrett and that was good education.

So bretzells, overhead stick shrugs, behind back stick stretches, band distractions with external rotation, overhead stick stretches then finally lacrosse ball in the first rib and between the scap and spine and then pec minor releases with said lacrosse ball.

Thumping in left forearm as well as that is always a link for me ( grip/shoulder) and that helped too. Had a client no show so I also got my lower body stretchout in as well. Another 75 minutes of mobility and stretching! Nice.

But it was go time so lets snatch it out.

Snatch ladders
16 kg x5/5 x 3
20 kg x4/4

24 kg x5/5
x6/6
x7/7
x8/8 x 2 rounds
104 reps
5,512 lbs

nice since I havent really snatched the 24 like this in a while. Form felt solid and the bell, light.

this is from the first round.

Two hand swings

24 kg x 10
32 kg x 10 sets of 10
100 reps 7200 lbs

Did this pretty fast in an "I go, you go" fashion with Nick. Tracy was next to us doing 500 reps with the 24 kg in the two hand swing alternating with another 500 transfers with the 12 kg in sets up to 100! Craziness! My wife is one serious kb animal! That is one serious work capacity. No joke.

One arm shield casts
10 lbs x 10/10
15 lbs x10/10 x 3 set

Scap tactical pullups
3 sets of 6

these are feeling better each time. Really focused on dorsi flexion, a tight hollow body position and serious external rotation of each arm, THEN pulling. It's exactly how gymnasts move on the rings and the bars. Had to give up this position for years, very nice to be able to get it back again.

Also with all the great stuff that's happening to my left knee because of the increased attention to the mobility and flexibility of my feet and ankles it made sense to finally try some vibram five finger shoes. Or Tree Frog Shoes, as I have called them.

I have a feeling these are going to make a huge difference as I've had them on since I got them and don't want to take them off they feel so good. Opening up and strengthening my toes is going to make a huge impact on my knee as well.

datsit!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...