Saturday, May 07, 2011

Speed work.


It's official now, I can't get away with doing snatch Vo2 on Thursday and come back and swing or snatch heavy on Saturdays. My arms just don't seem to recover fast enough to do Saturday, which is supposed to be the centerpiece of the week, justice.

Perhaps I can adapt to it but I don't think I need to. I'll just turn Thursdays into my clubbell swipe day and snatch or do lots of one arm swings on Saturday. Trying to get two snatch workouts in a week was just a bit greedy.

I could train snatch vo2 on Wednesdays but that would mean no swipe workout so I have to choose. I chose to work on my swipes and sacrifice snatch vo2, for now anyway. I can always snatch vo21 on saturdays but I will have tough road to hoe convincing Nick but he travels a lot anyway ;-))

After watching my snippet of Wednesdays snatch workout I looked back to when I was really rocking the snatch vo2 ( back in 2007) and looked at that form. MAN I was moving fast! Way faster than recently but my form is well, mine.

Ironically it looks like I am going through a bigger ROM but moving much faster. Here's a sample:


Back then I was also swinging for A LOT more volume, having pr's of 600 reps with the 32 kg and 600 with the 24kg using the same form; lots more hip and back and not trying to use my legs at all. Just enough of a knee bend to keep the glutes involved.

Just like my old barbell deadlift form which everyone , including me, tried to correct until I realized it was my strongest position.

So I decided to do my swing workout today with that old snatch/swing form and it worked like a charm again allowing me to go much faster and have more power for lots of sets.

Since my foot/ankle/knee mobility is gaining ground by leaps and bounds I fully expect to be squatting again soon( at least bodyweight) and don't have to try to turn my swing snatch from a hinge/pull pattern into anything else.

7-8 am

flexibilty/mobility stretchout. LOTS of ankle foot and squat pattern work.

8 am
One arm swings

16 kg x 5/5/5/5 x 3 ( arms were TIGHT! hence the kinesiotape)
20 kg x5/5

24 kg x10/10 x 10 sets
200 reps
10,800 lbs

not a bad start.

Two hand swings 24 kg
10 sets of 10
100 reps
5300 lbs

I go you go with Nick. Fast pace with emphasis on eccentric overload and FAST ascents. felt great! The hike swing park drills carry over very well.

One arm clubbell Shield casts
10lbs x 10/10 x 2
15 lbs x 8/8
x10/10

These went well as well. Slept great last night and had lots of energy and strength today. 'Bout time.
So it looks like

Saturday
One arm swings or snatches
two hand swings ( ballistic or power version)
one arm clubs

Tuesday
KB press
two hand arm casts
pullup practice

Thursday
CB swipes
handstand practice
body weight squats

If I can get away with doing bodyweight squats, handstands and pullups in addition to all the other great stuff I can now do again it will truly be a miracle. Not to mention if I can figure out how to get my knee to bend another 20-30 degrees! I won't quit trying to figure it out until they put me in the ground.

And as I found with Kelly Starrett's foot and ankle drill just ONE small thing can make ALL the difference in your direction and that's all I need. Just one right thing to point the way


datsit.


2 comments:

guy said...

Sir, do you perceive that, you get more out of the clubbell practice, than the KB practice in ways?

Mark Reifkind said...

lol,no guy just the opposite. the swipes are much easier for me than snatches.it's just nice to practice something I'm actually good at for a change.
Also, doing snatch vo2 on thursday seems to wreck my arms for saturday's heavy swing/snatch day whereas clubs do not.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...