Saturday, June 04, 2011

32 kg One arm swings/ ring work.


It was on the menu and there were no extenuating circumstances to stop me so 32 kg one arm swings were a go. I knew I could do fives no problem but if I want to ramp this workload up I have to be able to do 20 rep sets( 10/10) or it's too much of a slog.

My best ever for a 32 kg workout is 400 reps done in sets of 10/10 and I really want to get back to close to that workload.It's a ways off but not that far. The key is just consistent wave loading progressions and recovering from one workout to the next to set the next jump up. It's slow but it gets there.

6:30- 8 am

Full stretchout/mobilization. Took about 80 minutes total but I got in early and hit everything I needed to. This is getting much easier as I don't miss days at all and get the stretches in first. This is key to setting up better mobility and movement and less tension in the body throughout the rest of the day.

No days off, as Kstar would say. You can work on something everyday, no matter how little, to improve for the next day. Once I accepted that my true main training priority is my stretching and mobility it because much easier.

8 am

One arm swings
16 kg x5/5/5/5 x 3
20 kg x5/5/5/5
24 kg x6/6
28 kg x8/8

32 kg x 10/10 x 5 sets = 100 reps
x 5/5 x 4 sets= 40
x10/10 x 1 set= 20
total reps = 160
11,680 lbs

Ever since I stopped "controlling " my swing so much and just went to the groove where I felt the fastest and the strongest the swing has been going really well and I have been able to up my reps per set, weight used and total reps per workout. I was really getting in my own way before and the groove was much more awkward and slow.

Technically more "correct" but my body has never been , ahem, 'normal' I got in bad trouble in powerlifting not listening to what groove my body said was best and I vowed not to make that mistake again, and I won't. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else or look "right' but it has to be strong and fast and not hurt me.

That's what really counts.

The 20 rep sets felt fine at first but I knew pretty soon that I couldn't maintain the correct bell speed for all ten sets I wanted. No worries, just do five sets and back off to 10 rep sets( 5/5) for the remainder. Felt great just to be moving that monster that well ;))

Plank Ring Pushups

5 sets of 4 reps.

Now this was interesting. Much stronger than last time but my left shoulder still rattles around way too much. Looking at the video remembering the technique I think I was so concentrated on turning out the rings and trying to lockout the elbows at the top that I didn't engage my lat enough! Crazy.

Still I have to go very slowly with this stuff as I don't have a lot of internal ligamentous support and things move around fast. I was worried that I would have to spend a lot of time today un impinging my biceps tendon but as I sit here now it's fine. Cool.

I also tried hard to keep my shoulders right over my hands at the top, or slightly forward, and I come close in the tape. LOTS of work to do.

Ring Triceps extensions

Couldn't resist this. I do love tricep work and wanted to see if this would get into the long head of the triceps which is the hardest part of the muscle to activate. It did alright but I got more shoulder than triceps.

We did four sets of 5-6 and Nick was complaining more about his abs than his arms! This really loads the front panel well.

Datsit.Sisu.

No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...