Monday, November 28, 2011

24th Anniversary Workout

Woke up with a tight left bicep tendon and it never really got fixed until about halfway through the snatch workout.

I got some stretching in but I just couldn't get the first rib to move right and so I went into the workout just a bit cautious, to say the least.

I rehabbed the right side ( ironically) using snatch holds as it was all I could for a long time as it was all I could do beside one arm swings and transfers.

Now I have added presses with both one and two arms, clubbell work, handstands on floor and P bars and some ring holds and haven't balanced out the shoulder girdle with enough snatches and holds.

That's what I learned today. Not too hard a lesson but I sure took my time figuring it out. My shoulder has been wonky for months.Of course my right shoulder feels better than ever.:))

One day All parts will fit my body and not hurt. That's the plan, anyway.Until then I will keep playing "whack a mole" as I fix one thing and something else complains. So it goes,


Snatch Vo2
16 kg
15:15
40 sets of 7
280 reps
10,080

Not bad. Especially since the left shoulder was not sitting right for the first 20 sets. The more I held the bell overhead the more my rotator cuff turned on and the pec released. It just took awhile.

The right side felt perfect and I felt I could do 8's easily on that side. I was worried my left arm was going to disconnect if I didn't pay attention. Not the best environment for performance.

The last twenty sets the shoulder felt great, much more stable and solid as the rotators really kicked in.

THis made me realized the next exercisehad to be

Snatch holds
16 kg
x 60 seconds
x45 seconds
x45 seconds

Did these side by side with my bride of 24 years as of today and it was rocking. She played with her version of snatch vo2 doubling( almost ) what I was doing. She's a machine and my Queen. And I could feel the shoulder setting in every set. These were much tougher than they should have been and I have to put them in the mix again.

I might even need to start snatching first on saturdays and press after. we'll see.

Bodyblade laterals Supersetted with Floor Handstands

4 sets of 10/10
5 sets of 10-15 sec handstands

the laterals are hard and my body is now used to Pbar handstands more than floor! My forearms were tight and took awhile to open up

Band rear delts
4 sets of 20, 20, 15 12

These are going in to balance out pec tension too

Band triceps kickbacks, reverse grip
4 sets of 20 blue band

I like the tricep extension while the arm is in external rotation

datsit. Sisu

7 comments:

Mike C said...

Hi Rif- I'm also trying to figure out my shoulder and paying attention to getting it to work right.

I know I've got some serious trigger points in the scalenes (connection to first rib).

How do you check movement of the first rib?

I'm trying to fit all these puzzle pieces together.

Thanks!

ps- Your post a while back and tip about really weighting the big toe on the pistol got me over the hump with respect to balance on the naked pistol. HUGE THANK YOU!!!!

Mark Reifkind said...

Mike,

my entire shoulder/clavicle/ rib area moves around SO much it's hard to know what's out much less in what direction but I try to release the major guys first and then move on.

for me when the bicep tendon slips out OR the humerus moves away from the tendon the entire area, including the scalenes and levator scap lock up.

sometimes I go after the pec minor trying to get the hunerus back in but lately it hasn't been working

I tried Starrets stick and tennis ball on the posterior first rib a few weeks ago( pushing downwards) but it made it worse so I went in the other direction trying to elevate the rib with stick shoulder shrugs. that helped more.

SO MUCH for me depends on how tight the forearm flexors and fascia get from training. that fascial tightness can pull the whole shoulder down and create a cascade effect.

So i always start there and release the forearms and biceps insertion points, then the brachialis and teres major and pec minor.

I do TONS of overhead and behind back stick stretching to make sure the ribs and scaps are moving.

like I mentioned in my blog one piece I forgot was doing snatch holds to activate the rotator cuff and balance out all the extra pec/delt tension I've been getting lately.

Did those yesterday and today shoulder is best it's been in months.
SO you can be sure that's in the mix now

BTW the big toe cue was MRKC Geoff Neupert's I just stole it :))

good luck

this is my video from way back when I was rehabbing my right shoulder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6zj0lU174I

Mike C said...

Thanks Rif. Great insight and info. Much appreciated.

I also tried the tennis ball/ stick pushing down drill in the last week. I did not like it much. Seemed to aggravate things.

I had done snatch hold walks a couple days ago and it felt really good (I was reading Easy Strength and decided try them - called Waiter Walks termed by Dan John there (think we are talking about the same thing)).

I've had AC joint issues and now lately some muscular pain in the chest just below and almost beneath the clavicle.

I'll try the stick shoulder shrugs from the video to see what that hits.

I think there is something to be said for me in releasing the pec minor, but it's a bit hard for me to do and I'm feeling my way through it with a lacrosse ball and also with my fingers/ hands.

Thanks again.

Mark Reifkind said...

mike

the lacross ball works great for me for releasing the pec minor but the santch holds seem to have done the trick. all is very quiet since I did them on mon and thurs. press day today so I'll let you know

nerd bro said...

Most of us employed Ergo Baby Carriers On Sale the infant Bjorn, pertaining to just like a 1 week, that drawn therefore bad! I have the actual darkish pure Ergo...LOVE IT!! I actually couldn't trade the idea regarding something!! I have not used at all a Beco well, i can not evaluate both however i love the Ergo! This 4 year outdated can certainly still experience in it. Your lover will not experience within it any longer, she Ergo Baby Carrier actually is also unbiased, she may possibly.

ailsasa said...

The ergo baby carrier online at Safetots are rigorously chosen to produce you with the simplest and preferred choice. All of the baby carriers on the Safetots web site are designed with safety in mind however they're additionally terribly fashionable and excellent for mums and dads. you'll be able to make a choice www.ergobabycarrieronline.com
from numerous designs as well as front ergo baby carrier, baby baby carriers and hip seats.Look at an choices that equally distribute the load of the baby, if you always carry your baby on the front then a front baby carrier is also the simplest possibility particularly if you wish to examine your babies face.

Unknown said...

Put all those horrible cheap bags as well as winter coats for women go for recyclable purses. Preserve our earth and conceal the place you were purchasing. You should definitely bathe these folks consistently to protect High Heels shoes yourself from pollution.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...