Saturday, January 21, 2012

24 kg snatches/ 36 kg one arm swing.



Good day today, again. What a difference a good crew makes. It feels like the old days when it was either a heavy squat day or a competition and you had your buds there to help you through it. Energy creates energy and just having these guys there makes me stronger .

No repercussions from Thursdays pulls and I actually felt great from all the 100 up and calf work I've been doing. Definitely helps me set my standing and walking stance position and push reset as well when things get wonky. MUCH less leg tension than usual. Nice.

Also nice that it started to rain and warm up and I don't feel like every joint in my body is in the deep freeze. So much easier to move when I'm not frozen :))

7-8 am full stretchout

lots on emphasis on down and up dog and straddle sits/splits. Pain ball work for the brachialis and pec minor. Kinsieo tape on brachialis really helping shoulder too. :))


8 am one arm swing warmup
16 kg x5/5+ 5 transfers x 3 sets
Snatches
16 kg x5/5 x 2
20 kg x5/5 


24kg x5/5
         x7/7
         x9/9 x 2 rounds
         x5/5
         x5/5
118 reps
6372 lbs

Very happy with teshnik, pace and safety feeling.Really feeling like I am owning ALL parts of this move. Not just hinging off my lower back in the bottom position but really getting some shock absorption through the legs and hips.
Also happy with my wind and being able to move up in reps with no discomfort. Staying at the right pace is helping tremendously.I'm moving faster than I thought: 24 reps per minute pace but with no sense of trying to go back.
Basically 20 reps in 50 seconds. Not bad with a definite pause at the top and an attempt to really maximize the back stretch position as well. Cool, it's coming.

Plus Glen caught a crucial mistake I've been making when I snatch: letting my left big toe come off the ground. If the big toe isn't planted you totally lose your "root" and the center of your base. All the foot and ankle mobility I've been doing has really shown me the importance of the mobility and coordination of ALL the toes.It's a key to ankle mobility and that is the key to knee stability and mobility as well.

With my arthritic crooked knee I have to be even more concerned about my foot position and strength and make sure all the digits move and extend correctly.If the toes are tight, the foot is short, if the foot is short the ankle is tight, if the ankle is tight the knee is unstable, etc., etc., etc.
Very excited to be doing calf work again as well, I can already feel the difference in my standing position, walking and gait work.


and Nick had a field day today, killing his snatch workout and ending with this easy 40 kg set


One Arm Swings
28 kg x5/5
32 kg x5/5
36 kg x5/5

datsit.NICE. Haven't swung the 36 kg one arm in a year or more and it was strong. that's it though I'm tired and want to end on a strong/high note



Nice to NOT have to do volume to feel like the workout was enough. It's all easy 'til it's heavy :)) Ans this didn't feel that heavy. The Bulldog will be swung, and soon.

Reverse grip pushdowns ( black band)
5 x 20 
supersetted with floor handstands
5 x 10 second/easy :))

great workout, strong the whole way through with almost no issues. Shoulder behaving very well.

datsit.

Sisu. Never Quit.




4 comments:

Geoff Neupert said...

"Plus Glen caught a crucial mistake I've been making when I snatch: letting my left big toe come off the ground. If the big toe isn't planted you totally lose your "root" and the center of your base. All the foot and ankle mobility I've been doing has really shown me the importance of the mobility and coordination of ALL the toes.It's a key to ankle mobility and that is the key to knee stability and mobility as well."

Not only that, Rif, but what most people don't know is that keeping the big toes down loads the hips so much better. In fact, flexible big toes, and toes in general, I believe, are one of the keys to having healthy hips. The big toe is wired to the hip.

Nice job.

Mark Reifkind said...

geoff, I remember how much you drove home that point to me in Hungary when we were working on my pistol.

glad Glenn caught it, I never would have, couldn't feel it at all. BUT I am now very focused on keeping it NAILED down, all the time. It will take some work :))

and I totally agree about the important of flexible mobile toes. It could be my biggest revelation of last year.

thanks for the comment

Diana said...

keeping those toes down and gripping the floor like they are hawk talons was something that I've kept locked in my stance since the RKC! Wish I could remember who told me that, I'd give credit where it's due!

Unknown said...

On the list of greatest issues of buying dresses online is you should buy Chinese Dress whenever with the ease and comfort within your property. On line merchants also provide repair management software shopper help for you. Should you have any query then you certainly can remedy it by discussing them.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...