Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Back to Practice and Presses.


I was very excited to be able to train again today after last weeks "taper" for this weekends RKC in San Jose. The cert went well but as usual 14-16 hour days on my feet standing, walking, demo'ing and hauling kbs around took it's toll on my knee but I thought I held up pretty well overall. It really comes down to being able to walk well and carry stuff. That's basically the most important function of all ;lift carry and walk :))

Not having to fly made a huge difference but I was still pretty beat up when I got back to work early Monday morning.

Got a good hour long stretch out this morning and set up training with Glenn at 12:30. Perfect.

I even wanted to try out some presses as it seems not pressing really hasn't helped stabilize my shoulder much, although, truth be told. it was the most stable it's been in eons this weekend. Weird.

I've had the kinesio tape off for the last four days or so and the sartorius and adductor felt fine.

But it tweaked again on my last set of clean and press today and it pisses me off. I was really ready to dive head in again. at least on my swings! I taped it up and started over with light swings and it wasn't that bad but I was/ am not ready for rehab mode again .

One arm swings
16 kg x5/5/5 transfer x 3


Clean and press
16 kg x5/5 x2
20 kg x 3
24 kg x 2 x 5 sets ( tweaked on last set !)

 these went better than expected. I really have to activate the press from the scapula to avoid the instability in the AC joint on the left side.right side felt super strong and I had to stop myself from doing way more reps. first press workout in two months so go slowly

One arm swings
10 kg x5/5Ok
16 kg x 10/10 x 2
20 kg x 10/10 x 5 sets

these felt ok ( I taped the adductor and sartorius first) if I really concentrated on sitting back and being square. have to re check my form more now.

Two hand Cb arm casts
15 lb x 10/10
25 lb x 10/10 x 3
Two Hand CB Swipe
25 x 10/10 x 2

just change to swipes to get some more conditioning in. really felt like I didn't do anything in the swings to get my HR up .These did it:))

Triceps extensions
black band x 25 x 4  ouch !


Floor Handstands
4 sets of 10 seconds. strong


ok, I have to figure this adductor thing out now. will play with stance and use the video from the front.

Hey, at least I got a press workout in:))

datsit.
Sisu/Never Quit.


2 comments:

Mike C said...

Hey Rif Sir-

Great job at the RKC! Your talk, "What Is RKC" was outstanding. It was my 2nd time hearing you give it and it was excellent. Also a little intimidating :] The standards are clearly set high.

Thanks for all you added to the weekend with your teaching and insights and good to talk a little to you in person as well.

Please tell Tracy Rif thanks too. Her "Sinister" swing workout was, well...sinister. I enjoyed the pain :]

Mark Reifkind said...

Mike

great to see you again. Glad you like the talk, sorry it went long and kept you guys over, I'm just very passionate about this stuff. Great cert, as usual.

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...