Thursday, August 30, 2012

Stronger still, two hand swings and snatch holds

Despite getting some GI troubles yesterday I went in to todays workout actually feeling strong. I love this feeling. I remember it well and used to actually LIVE in this state. But for many many years, almost more than I can recall it's been just a fond memory.

Now this is not to say I'm not tweaked at all. Of course I am. I woke up Wednesday with a serious kink my neck from sleeping wrong( sign number one you're old) and with a Primal Move Instructor cert video to perform- at 6 am! I got it done but it was no fun and my neck was "out" all day. But I got it stretched or rolled and moved out and it woke up this morning almost 100%.
Til my wrist tweaked a bit doing just a 'wee' bit too much crawling. Ack.

That's the problem, one doesn't know where the edge is until you've already stepped over it and it's too late. Here's hoping you weren't wearing your weighted vest at the time :))

But my work capacity, strength and strength endurance is coming along nicely as is my lower body mobility from all this ground work. Yet I still wish I had a full hour EVERY morning to fully stretch out before training. I just can't get up any earlier the 3:45 am. That's it.

Two Hand Swing
24 kg x 10
28 kg x 10
32 kg x 10
36 kg x 10
40 kg x 10 x 3
36 x 10
32 kg x 12
28 kg x 15
24 kg x 20

127 swings. Nice<.haven't done more than 10 two hand swing since I taped tracy's video "Give and Take" and that damn near killed me. This was damn near easy.My groove is getting very solid too and it's so interesting that this is so much easier on my left shoulder than one arm swings, my mainstay for the last ten years.

Snatch Hold
16 kg x 60 sec
20 kg x 60 sec
24 kg x 30 sec( easy)

this was great and proved to me that my decision to do these twice a week was correct. This exercise works almost everything I am weak on in the t spine/shoulder girdle and it's getting better quickly.I could have held the 24 for 45 easy.

Kb floor triceps ext
20 kg x 10
16 kg x 10 x 3

I thought 20 kg would be easier but I felt the first set more in shoulders than tri's so I dropped down. I did the negative slower and didn't release tension in the pause but held it. Just another way to increase resistance without increasing mass of weight

BB laterals S/S rev grip band kickbacks

Just wanted more blood in the triceps. this worked great but have to keep the torso upright to keep the shoulder out of it

datsit.
Sisu/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a few heavier bells to swing. Right now I only have a 16, 20, and 24 kilo bells. Gotta save up for more! I did try some snatch holds with the 16kg. Those are nice. Feels great in the shoulders. Thanks for introducing them to me! Once my DOMS subsides I will do some 24Kilo holds. I can't wait!

Mark Reifkind said...

you can get tons done with "just' a 24.In the russian military where all this came from most units only had a 24.
Nate Morrison, an ex Sr Rkc and Pararescue Jumper says working up to 100 two hand swings with the 24 is a baseline for military guys in the field.

If you can go up in weight go up in reps!Personally I am working to 100 32 kg belt squats.that will work the legs a bit. even with my knee:))

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! 100 continuous swings with the 24 or broken up? If that's 100 continuous swings then your right. I have some work cut out for me.

Mark Reifkind said...

continuous :)) I've done it with the 20kg when I was training for my RKC but not with the 24kg.

More press mistakes from today

 1) Gotta engage the rhomboids when setting the low rack position.Lock in 2) Elbows up is crucial 3) 'Straight  up' on the unracking...