Saturday, September 01, 2012

Snatches, squats and a resignation.



Bizarre day. A solid workout, my granddaughter's third birthday party and the day I resigned as Master Instructor for DragonDoor Publications. Note that I did NOT say from RKC as until that legal distinction is truly decided upon I still will consider myself a Master RKC.

Pavel has resigned. He is going to create a new organization and structure, his "vision" of the RKC. He is MY Master, my Chief and I am going where he goes and teach where he teaches. I have truly enjoyed my 7 years as an RKC, Senior RKC and Master Instructor but now, for many reasons, it is time to move on and while I a bit sad about it all I am just as excited about what the future will bring.

No matter what it brings it will, it has to, center on consistent training,on getting stronger, better, braver, more disciplined and consistent each and every day, to the best that I can. That day. That's all I can ask of myself and that's all I can ask of my students.

Show up, tap in to what your body is telling you it can do that day, and then do your best to do it. It doesn't matter what or where it is as tomorrow will always be another training day. Whether that training is more loading, more stretching, more mobilizing or more napping. What it takes to keep adapting and getting better. To be able to do more than before , or at least as much as you can, as best you can.

And that's what I did today. I continue to feel strong, to recover and to deal with the  minor tweaks and twinges that my body loves to throw at me all the time. Like a cat with a mouse, my body loves to tease me with glimpses of pain free movement and strength only to push the tweak somewhere I haven't felt before. or at least lately .

But I did more than last week and more than the week before and still feel good. that hasn't happened in a while. Next week should be a back off but today was strong. Weird, but strong.

Snatches
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 6/6
         x 8/8
         x 10/10 x 2
         x 5/5 x 2
116 reps
6148 lbs

my groove felt weird> I felt strong but had trouble really focusing and finding my groove. MY left shoulder didn't feel completely in and that messes up the groove a lot. Have to practice some light snatches and see if I can find a better slot for the left arm. Still , all in all, just fine.

Belt squats
32 kg x 20
36 kg x 20
40 kg x 20 x 2

was going to go up but both partners are still a bit jacked and to be honest I was too lazy to change the weight s:((

Two hand CB arm casts
25 lbs  x10/10
           x12/10
           x 15/15
these were fine but I was getting tired. doesnt read like much work but it sure seemed like a lot at the end.

datsit.
Sisu/

11 comments:

Mike C said...

WOW...big news and best of luck Mark Rif!

I am very excited to hear what Pavel is cooking up with his new direction. Congrats for your decisiveness and going along as a leader in his new organization.

Diana said...

I've been just sitting back waiting for all this "dust" to settle to see where things end up. My RKC expired as of June and I have mixed thoughts as to what I'm going to do. I am anxious to see what's to come though....my RKC door has not completely shut as far as I am concerned!
Nice job on the snatches, I'm very anxious for my marathon to get here, and then I'm back at the bells 100%.

Anonymous said...

I too am excited to hear what Pavel has in the works.

I keep pinching and tearing calluses on my hand during snatches. It always cuts my snatch workout short. I have really tried focusing on my grip. I am positive I am not gripping to tight. The problem comes from the bell rolling over my calluses on the way down and pinching them on my fingers. Do you have any tips,advice, or drills on overcoming this?

SebastianKFA said...

Hi Mark,
thanks so much for the updates you share with us.
I saw Pavel at the RKC in Hungary and he was absolut positiv about the things that will come.
The future will be great, i feel it.
Heads up and best wishes from Germany,
Sebastian

guy said...

"A brave New World that has such men in it." Outstanding BossMan! Lead the way! Wow! DD without Pavel will be like Fire Island after Labor Day...Dead! Hard to imagine.
I know that you will always provide qaulity instruction, as far as I am concerned for my personal needs, yours & Mrs. Reifkinds sites, with a little of Dan John's thrown in are all that I need for my physical culture improvement.
Best wishes Chief.

brucedalai said...

Hi Mark, I wish you all the best for the future. Good luck for the new way. Take care!

Mark Reifkind said...

Sebastian

I'm sure the future is very bright:))

Mark Reifkind said...

guy

wherever pavel is IS the RKC. It won't be dead just with a new name. and a 'rose by any other name ...'

Mark Reifkind said...

Bruce

thanks man for all the support all these years :)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Mike, things will just better, more organized, less ( NO) hype and more back to basics

Juci SFG said...

I think this is exactly what the doctor ordered for the Party.
More basics, more work, less marketing bullshit.
I feel that the future will be bright with Pavel, with you by his side.

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...