Thursday, December 13, 2012

More Beast Swings.



Long ass day today. Cat woke me up at three and out of bed at 4. Clients straight through until 2 pm and then a 10 minute hot bath as my 'passive warmup' before stepping into the cold storage known as my garage gym, Stones. It's cold as a stone in there from November until April as the concrete slab underneath damn near freezes and doesn't thaw out til Spring.

The Russian warmup (they use saunas I've read) make all the difference. Instead of freezing I'm sweating in two sets.

Two hand swing, ballistic

16 kg x 10
20 kg x 10
24 kg x 10
28 kg x 10
32 kg x 10
36 kg x 10
40 kg x 10
44 kg x 10
48 kg x 10 x 2
40 kg x 10
36 kg x 10
32 kg x 10
110 swings above 24 kg

That was perfect workload . Too tired to do multiple sets at one way this full pyramid got plenty of work in and let me concentrate on form, which felt very solid. Really focused on  internal rotation on the lockout and external ( knee) rotation as I went into the descent. This really set up great torque on the lateral side of the body and great hip utilization AND stabilization .

Also focused( once warmed up) on throwing the bell back and UP and this continued to give  me a great "bottom" of the swing arc and an excellent launching pad for the concentric rep.

I know I haven't done 2 sets of 10 with the Beast so that's a PR Nice. AND, it felt pretty strong an easy.

Two KB Power Swings
16 kg x 5 x 2
20 kg x 4 x 2
24 kg x 3 x 2

these were good and tough at the same time. Especially the 24 kgs. Hips and legs were a bit toasty but the groove was solid. I'm just so weak in this position. I ain't got no hip size at all although my glutes are huge compared to 20 years ago,lol. Now that's a scary thought.:))

I am getting WAAAY comfortable with this wide stand and the double bells, though. Really brings me back to powerlifting.

Snatch Holds
16 kg x 30
20 kg x 30
24 kg x 30
18 kg x 45

nice,we need to do at least 4 set and get our asses to one minute holds more pronto. It's just that one minute holds really suck. Glenn's shirt said "Embrace the Suck" today and it looks like we have to even more.

 Oh well :)) Embrace the Suck.

P bar pushups. Horizontal bar, close grip
4 x 7 ,8,9,10

Nice! the first few reps of the first few sets NO shoulder destabilizing at all. SO solid. I love this, it's just like a bench press and I treat it as such, same techniques. and really on the lats.this is getting much stronger

datsit.
Sisu/



4 comments:

fred from nashville said...

mark, i have a question for you and tracy. about may i will be finishing the swing using a 16kg bell.im thinking of going up a notch after that to either a 20kg or maybe even a 24kg bell. im thinking that the 20kg is not enough and that the 24kg is at my outer most limit.if there is not a swing 2 by that time im thinking of starting over using the heavier bell. any thoughts. even though i like to joke around with you guys, i have great respect for you and tracy. i am not even close to either you or tracy but i keep on trying
fred from nashville

fred from nashville said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Reifkind said...

fred

as you can tell from my blog I train quite differently than tracy. My training is much more sets and reps oriented.Like I did in bodybuilding and powerlifting. I don't time my rest periods and I don't do near the volume of work she does.

I don't think it's as important in TracyStyle training to keep going upin weight, rather focus on speed and acceleration of the bell and keeping the rest periods as prescribed.

Or you can train more like me, which ever you prefer.
thanks for stopping by!

fred from nashville said...

thanks for your nice response mark. also, a very good eye opener on your differnt approaches
fred from nashville

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...