Monday, March 25, 2013

Double 24 complexes, double press




Going with the strength over volume theme I thought I was ready to do some double bell complexes. All this double stuff is so new to me but doing 5 reps of swings then cleans seemed much better than sets of 10 in the swing.

I thought momentarily about adding in double presses right from the start but thought I had better do them separately to see if I even COULD do them without jacking something up. They all went well and next week I will put them together

Full stretchout this am done in 2 part 5:30 am -6 then 7- 7:30 am

shoulders tight from saturday's handstand pushups so extra lacrosse ball work there

Double swings
2 14's x 10 x 2
2 16's x 10 x 2
2 20's x 5 + 5 double cleans x 2
2 24's x 5 + 5 double cleans x 5 sets






these went well but were no joke at the end. Definitely a tough combo, adding in the presses will be even harder. perhaps I will make it a chain instead of a complex( 1 swing+ 1 clean+ 1 press+ 1 chain)
we'll see.

Double press
2 16's x 5 x 2
2 20's x 5 x 2
2 24's x 3 x3

Did these MY way. Tired of fighting my t spine and shoulder restriction when if I press like this:


it works well. I'm strong, I can lockout better than any other way, it doesn't hurt my shoulders and , I'm strong :)
Instead of constantly fighting this arch of mine( which I cultivated for years as a bodybuilder and powerlifter) which took over from my gymnasts hollow position I need to embrace it. Just like I could only bench press one specific way that fit my body and orthopedic considerations, It seems I can overhead press only one way too: arch my back, get my head out of the way and press straight up.

It ain't standard issue but then neither is this body :) This is definitely a groove I can work with. I need to push away from the weights just as I did in the bench. In fact I need to think of this as a standing bench press. Again, I need to embrace this super arch of mine and use it as well as continuing to keep gaining shoulder ROM and mobility.

There are modern hollow body handstands and old school, muscle beach handstands


Belt squats
48 kg x 20 x 4 sets

first set felt rough but they kept getting better. Still love this move. Need to add another set soon

Bodyblade laterals
3 x 10/10

datsit.
Sisu/


Like a Boss.

3 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

Strong! And easy! Honor thy body...improvise, adapt and overcome as the Captain would say ;)

Mark Reifkind said...

yes indeed. improvise, adapt and overcome :)

Diana said...

I like doing "chains"...is there much difference or benefit in doing either chains or complexes?

I get that "cat" stuff all the time! They can be sound asleep in a completely different part of the house and as soon as I want to do a workout-BAM, there they are! LOL...

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...