Monday, April 01, 2013

Double the Fun double 28 kg swings and more



This was a surprise. Just a few months ago I had hardly done any double bell swings except a few to demo at certs. Now they are one of my favorite movements and I hit a decent Pr today doing sets and reps with two 28 kg bells. Nice. Very nice.

Since re focusing my efforts on strength instead of conditioning ( nice also that I am back to being able to DO so, even just a little) my attitude has been has been better and bells that I had been thinking of as "heavy" now seem light. SO much depends on how you look at things. When I was a powerlifter, heavy didn't start til 400 lbs. Verymuch so in bench and hardly so in the squat and deadlift but any way at all up to 300 pounds IN VIRTUALLY ANY MOVEMENT just didn't seem heavy.

I may not have been able to do it but it just didn't scare me. After all the back injuries I seriously redefined heavy again but now I  have un kinked myself just enough to be able to get into some bi lateral movements and play with something that resembles weight again. Not so much to hurt myself but to require some serious concentration.

I like to say if you're bored it's just not heavy enough or you would be scared, not bored. I've been plenty scared with 24 kg so sometimes that's heavy enough. The key is to have to really concentrate and now purposely keeping my reps low makes it SO much easier. I zone out and easily disassociate with even reps over 10 trying to 'flow' as much as possible and I don't like that. What I really like is the white hot intensity of having to do just ONE rep but while that no longer makes sense  I still like the mental laser beam focus and concentration it produces and low reps with moderately heavy bells.

Two KB swing
2 14's x 10 x 2
2 16's x 10 x 2
2 20's x 8 x 2
2 24's x 6 x 2
2 28's x 6 x 3!!! PR

These went great and the twenty eights, with my new Rogue bell were strong and FUN! I can now see double 32's in the future as well. The 28's weren't that hard. I have tons of work to do with them AND the 24's before I go up but using the 28's will make me that much stronger for the base work with the 24's. That's how it works. I just wish I could do the same with the snatch but I can't  so oh well :)



Double bell complex
swing, clean press
 2 16's 3 rounds ( one rep each)
2 20's x 2 rounds
2 24's x  2 rounds
          x  3 rounds !! Pr's all

Not bad at all including the press. My right shoulder is now officially tighter again than my left, after all these months of left side issues,lol, and I felt the presses tugging more on my right hip than anything. BUT they groove felt solid and right. and no shoulder instability. I just haven't done many with any weight much less double 24's and I just didn't trust it.

But  need to do lots more reps to get this thing and down and keep my  assault on my overhead position. It already feels better of late. I might not do ANY single bell pressing for a while and focus on this and pushups.

I do need to do this move by itself though as well as in a long cycle or complex.Can feel some serious muscle about to come on :))

Single bell work will get done, eventually with left side getups and windmills and right arm press and  snatch holds. that's next.

Belt squats
32 kg x 25, 28, 30, 30

these were great. strong easy but got the quads humming.

Bodyblade laterals SS band laterals
2 sets of 10/10 each alternating.


boring but necessary

datsit.
Sisu/









No comments:

195 x 1 x 11 , 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 35, 25

  Not great sleep and a bit sore ( no aspirin for last three days) so all in all it was a strong day . Just definitely not 'fresh'  ...