Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grunt work, two hand swings with the 40kg



Back to the basics and it doesn't get a whole lot more basic in the kb ballistic world than the two hand swing. The most important aspect of doing ballistic kb swings( cleans and snatches are swings too) is the acceleration of the bell. The weight is important but it secondary.

The swing is not a fast grind and it's import to be really able to move the weight quickly on the ascent, as well as drive it hard on the downswing as well. OR, if it's really heavy, not to slow it down on the descent.

Looking at this video I am pretty happy with the performance.This is a heavy bell for me for sets and reps and the bell moved much faster, on the ascent and descent than it felt like while I was doing it.:) Plus it came up higher.

It also didn't feel heavy in the hand, a good sign of strength. Groove was consistent and we did the most total swings we have done with this bell , 120 reps.

It's boring and very close to just digging a ditch , just pure grunt work; but it is vital for building deep and lasting strength and power, as well as putting on a good deal of real muscle as well.You gotta put in your reps.

It's also very cool that I could one arm swing this bell now :) very cool.

8-9 am Full stretchout.
solid one upper and lower in one session. a bit of crawling and floor rolling as well.Over head ROM continues to improve and shoulder achiness is diminished greatly as well. Note, I have added in coconut oil to the diet and already feel it's doing some good.A definitive anti inflammation response,especially noticeable because I am off all NSAIDS as well.

Another good sign that my training towards 'square, plumb, and neutral' is continuing in the right direction. Speed is nothing, trendline; everything.

Plan on adding ginger root to my morning green tea and tumeric somewhere in the diet. Joe is also putting together a chinese herbal  solution for me to take for arthritis pain as well. Great to have a Doc in the crew, too :)

Two Hand swing
16 kg x 10
20 x 10
22 x 10 ( misload :)
24 x 10
28 x 10
32 x 10
40 x 10 x 12 sets
120 reps
10,560 lbs - this seems to be my baseline load- 10,000 lbs. very solid place to push off of.

Two KB Deadlift 
2 16 x 8 
2 20 x 6
2 24 x 5
1/28 + 1/32 x 5 off 
   this was off but not bad, had the 32 kg in the left hand which worked the left leg more. felt correct
2 36 x 3
    awkward but strong/ this was an experiment and I don't think I'll keep it. The idea is to get my legs into it but I keep deadlifting from my hips and back, where I have leverage.,lol go figure.Since I'm thinking about more muscle as well perhaps double KB rows. That should be good:) I am seriously into double  bell work these days.
Oh yea, double snatches, forgot about those :)

Snatch Holds
16 kg x 35 sec
20 kg x 35 sec
24 kg x 45 sec ! recent Pr
18 kg x 60 sec! pr as well. haven't gone 60 sec with any weight in years. this was good.

Sled drags
60 lbs x 750 ft forwards, 50 ft backwards
800 ft total
woo hoo the backwards walk LIT UP THE  QUADS AND GLUTES!! in the best way possible THIS is staying in the mix.

great workout today. nice and warm and sunny out too. love it! time to sweat and get some sun again, can't freakin' wait to heat up these frozen joints.

datsit.
Sisu/



2 comments:

Joe Sarti said...

Fricking Strong day!! I love the sled work and nice swing workout....cannot wait to hit it tomorrow. Let me know when and I will leave the other 32kg ;)

Mark Reifkind said...

thanks Joe, it will be awhile and by then Rogue will probably have it back in stock. lots of work to do with the 28's before I earn the 32's :)

215 x 1, 225 miss x 2, 205 x 1 x 5 , side and rear delts , floor pushups ( deep, paused) 3 x 9

 Didnt sleep well last night and that didn't help. 205 and 215 were strong ( but not fast) and sure enough I didn't have enough spee...