Monday, July 01, 2013

Press ,snatch , squat



Pretty solid recovery from Saturday. No real issues save a tight ( as usual) left calf/soleus/knee. Presses and snatches were on the schedule today, in opposite order than last week. Also in order was 90+ degree sauna training.
Nice.

If you can't train in the heat you are not in shape in my humble opinion. And while I don't LIKE it I know its' making me tougher and stronger; and my joints love it so much. I vowed last winter NEVER to bitch about the heat again, I was SO sick of the cold. And I won't.

I would like some circulating air but I was too lazy to go get the fan so I suffered more. Good :)
My shoulders continue to act like normal shoulders, which is something I haven't experienced in decades so it's a bit confusing. So I thought I might do some reps and see how they felt. Haven't been able to in months. It went very well.

Clean and Press
16 kg x 5/5
         x 3/3
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 3/3
         x 4/4
         x 5/5 x 2 
48 presses with the 24k not bad.:) No pain or destabilization :) Things, after a slow 8 years are really moving in the right direction.At my young age of 56 :)

Snatch


Pressing last week after snatching really made it harder and I wondered if it would do the same for snatches this week. It actually seemed to make it better,easier.Shoulders were fully warmed up and my overhead position much more accessible. Nice.

Snatch
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 5/5
         x 6/6
         x 7/7
         x 8/8
         x 9/9
         x 10/10
90 reps
3960 lbs

These actually flowed well and I consciously worked on keeping the bell higher in the crotch and staying a bit more upright on the downstroke. A little lesson from GS and it did help, at least with this weight. I cannot, however let my knees lock in the backswing. I tried that a few times and my back said hello immediately.

I can see how it really makes the ascent easier but I can't tolerate it yet so no go.Nice to be able to do ten rep sets no problem though.

Belt squat
40kg x 20 x 4 sets
Ok, heat catching up with me now. Barely got through the 4th set. Lake Rif on the mat.

DB Curls
20 lbs  x 10 x 4 sets

these continue to work.

datsit.
Sisu/





3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

David Rigert personified!!! He was a champion's, Champion. The picture says it all, he was fearless on the platform, never afraid to tackle World Records! I think I remember in an old International Olympic Lifter (IOL) published by Bob Hise Sr. from SoCal that Rigert Back Squatted 300kg x 5 at between 90 and 100 kg of bodyweight, one strong dude! Awesome pic!

John

Mark Reifkind said...

yea it's a great picture. rock bottom, full lockout, twisted and undeterred :) Never quit!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...