Monday, July 15, 2013

Reboot.



This was a weird weekend. Spectacularly strong workout on Saturday. Felt great all the rest of the day, nothing hurt at all.Wake up Sunday, A OK. Then, mid morning my left knee starts getting tighter and tighter and tighter until very soon it won't bend at all. NOT fun. Had no idea what it was from. Yes we did a ton of heavy one arms but that movement didn't hurt the knee at all and replicating it didn't either.

I DID play around with some heels elevated squats later Saturday night but that was only 3 sets of 3-4 reps so I didn't think it would do any damage. I was wrong. My knee wouldn't bend at all all Saturday night and I got about 2 hours of sleep before my 3:45 wakeup call . Ack

I had this before where the rectus femoris locked up after a double hot yoga session and wouldn't let the kneecap move or the knee bend.Not fun at all This was exactly what was happening except the soleus was locking up my ankle too so nothing bent.
Tracy worked on it for a long time, I iced, got out the alleve, etc, etc. etc.

I knew that once I got up and moved around it would feel better( at least I HOPED it would) but I wasn't sure . But I knew I had to reset my body. Try to act as normal movement wise as possible and my body would push the re boot button as it had before.

It was the toe out, heel up weird squat position NOT my normal  movements that did this so doing the normal ROM would help fix it. At least it usually did.
And this time too.

But I didn't think I would train. I had a full compliment of client, I hadn't eaten much Sunday as I was in too much pain and hadn't had time to eat this morning. So when I got to the workout I had hoped for just a few swings to help push the reset button and a long nap and a lot of food.

But the workout turned out great.

As my tag line on this blog says,:
"That intensity is born from consistency. That one cannot force it, one has to lay in wait for it, patiently, instinctively, calmly and be ready to grab it when Grace lays it down in front of you."

It layed down in front of me today and while I didn't 'grab it' with full force I did indeed go for it. Hitting some very clean and strong snatches presses and even belt squats! Every thing I did made the body feel more and more normal than it had yesterday.

I've done this many times before and it always works, to one degree or another but it is always scary to do. To try to swing and snatch on a knee that just a few hours ago you couldn't put any weight on seems mad but it worked. I knew it wasn't the swing position that damaged it but I thought it might re set it. It did. :)
thank G-d.
But I need a knee replacement and yesterday convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that sooner is better.
First of 2014 I will make this happen and stop wasting SO much time and energy trying to jerry rig this beat up , broken down arthritic joint still function. I just want to be able walk and hike with no thought or pain as well as go down stairs:)

Snatches
16 kg x 5/5 x 2
20 kg x 5/5 x 5 s
         x 10/10

Clean and press
20 kg x 5/5
24 kg x 3/3 x 5 sets

these both felt spectacular. As good a good as I've felt, groove wise, in eons . Very very weird but I will take it.

belt squat
32 kg x 20
44 kg x 20 x 2

best not to push it :)

Cable curl
2 x 10

fatigue setting in now, and hunger. Cable handle is too narrow. I think I have to do barbell curls only, twice a week, heavy on saturday and light on wednesday.

dodged another bullet.

datsit.
Sisu/

1 comment:

Diana said...

Scary stuff! I hope that 2014 brings you a new knee!
What you do with the "beat" up one is incredible, can hardly wait to see what a "new" one will do!

155 x 3 x 5, 160 x 3 x 5, 20 kg swings 5 x 8/8, floor pushups 40, 35

 Thought about going back to 5x5 for a hot second then my left shoulder  reminded me why I stopped doing them before. It doesn't seem to...