Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Practicing the press, a fitting start to the first training of 2014



I have an entirely different attitude now towards the press since I decided to limit myself to no heavier than the 24 kg for the near future at the very least. I have to get this groove 'grooved' and trying to do that while attempting heavy weights, even weights I think should NOT be heavy but now seem to be, just doesn't work.

And today proved it.The shoulders felt great after the snatches on Monday and all the shoulder flex and mobility work I've been doing and just using the 20 kg today gave me a lot of latitude to find the groove that might work.

I went back to where I learned the press, Pavel's original RKC video and started there. Getting my hip under the bell, turning to look at the bell as I pressed and really focusing on getting and keeping the lat engaged.Worked very well

Warmup
one arm swings
16 kg x 5/5/5 x 3

Press
16 kg x 5/5
20 kg x 5/5 x 8 sets

these went great!Used the mirror a bit to check overhead position but it really

Sled drag
80 lbs x 230 ft x 5 laps.

these felt way better than last week as well. Not snatching first probably doesn't hurt, either :)

Cable curls
4 x 10

Triceps pushdowns
4 x 10

trained just 4 clients so I got off early and got to my training right away as well. Love to be able to do this all the time but I'll take it when I can get it. Nice start to the new year. Hope is back for my press :)

datsit.
Never Quit.

the Original Girya, The Art of Strength window sign back in 2003.And an interesting press position if I say so myself :)

No comments:

Thursday ruck

 Another decently strong one. Cool weather again and that helps.. Calves were tight, the only thing slowing me down 45 lb ruck 6 laps 3 mile...